PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] cannot boot into live environment or installer

icon-x
June 9th, 2012, 11:14 AM
hello forum,

i have an i7-asus P8H67-V machine which i plan to build a triple boot system containing win7, ubuntu studio 12.04 and mint 13.
win7 is installed with an usb stick and have been working fine by now.
today, i burned the ubuntu studio and mint 13 iso's to the dvd's and i couldn't boot into the live systems or the installers.

in both dvd's i could be able to reach the installation menu and be able to choose to boot into the live system or install directly. (or test memory which works fine)
but when i choose live or install, all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. i measured the intervals between the blinks for 15 minutes and the result is cons...(what the??) anyway looking at the blinking cursor for a few minutes gave me an idea (eventually) so i burned the iso to usb stick with the universal usb installer 1.9 and visited the (holy) efi bios.

in the efi bios (which seems like a normal bios with fancier design and mouse control)
i was able to choose between two options; to boot the usb drive or to (die!) boot the efi:usb drive (hmm)
-booting the usb option took me to the same menu as the dvd and the same blinking cursor eventually (intervals were the same so i was very comfortable. it was like seeing an old friend)
-booting the efi:usb took me to grub menu and i was able to reach the same blinking cursor of mine (oh yeah)

after a little debate with the blinking cursor, i decided to change the monitor cable from hdmi to vga (the cursor gave me this idea) and guess where i reached by selecting "install ubuntu" from the grub menu........black screen with no blinking cursor!!.....

now my dear friends, i feel not far from the solution but i cannot produce any ideas at this stage of installing. if you can help me at this point, please don't hesitate to offer.
thank you

darkod
June 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
The black screen can be related to video driver. Especially if you are running nvidia you can try the nomodeset parameter first:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10069997&postcount=1

If you are using EFI boot and plan to dual boot win7 and ubuntu, you need to do some further investigation first because right now I think EFI dual boot is not straightforward. I don't have any links myself since I haven't played with EFI, but I've seen couple of threads on the forum.

icon-x
June 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
yes i have an nvidia card and nomodeset option can help me boot into live session.
but i am confused about installing now... my win7 hard disk is formatted as MBR so i was feeling like i wasn't booting into efi mode and efi dual boot problems were not my concern.
am i wrong?

darkod
June 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
You should be right. Win7 can work with EFI only on gpt. So, if you have msdos table, you are not using EFI boot.

You should be OK if you install. On first boot you will need to use nomodeset again as explained in that link.