PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 - Start Menu SImilar to Ubuntu 10.04

ramsforums
June 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Hello,

I am not an expert but I am using 10.04 for some time. Recently we got a new desktop i7 with 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD etc, we want to install one open source CRM solution and run.

I have installed Ubutu 12.04 as it is new and LTS. I found very confusing to access menu items and application. In some case I do not know how to access certain application as it is not shown in standard side bar.

Request your help with the following.

1. How do I make changes or install another module so that I can use Ubuntu 12.04 with Menu, application access similar to Ubuntu 10.04.

2. If It is not possible or needs lots of programming etc, then I don't mind switching to another flavour of Ubuntu. Can I request you to recommend one Linux version which uses Ubuntu 12.04 LTS base. Please note that my PC is new and I do not have any resource constraint issue. What I need is compatibility with hardware and I should able to install all application which can run under Ubuntu 12.04.

Thank you and appreciate.
:)

The Cog
June 9th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Can I suggest Xubuntu? It's quite similar to the older Gnome Ubuntus. I think Linux Mint might also be worth a try, with their new cinnamon desktop, although I read it's still a little buggy ( haven't tried it myself so I'm only passing on rumours).

diesch
June 9th, 2012, 12:39 AM
ClassicMenu Indicator (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/) gives you a menu similar to the one in 10.04

ramsforums
June 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Can I suggest Xubuntu? It's quite similar to the older Gnome Ubuntus. I think Linux Mint might also be worth a try, with their new cinnamon desktop, although I read it's still a little buggy ( haven't tried it myself so I'm only passing on rumours).

Thanks . According to the distrowatch summary "Xubuntu is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. Unlike its parent, however, Xubuntu uses the light-weight Xfce desktop environment and is optimised for lower-end machines. The distribution includes only GTK+ applications where possible.
"

It is basically light-weight and for lower -end machines. Include only GTK+. does this means some application may not run and it is not truly compatible?

ramsforums
June 9th, 2012, 12:50 AM
ClassicMenu Indicator (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/) gives you a menu similar to the one in 10.04

Thanks Good to know this classicmenu. I will give a try. :)

The Cog
June 9th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks . According to the distrowatch summary "Xubuntu is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. Unlike its parent, however, Xubuntu uses the light-weight Xfce desktop environment and is optimised for lower-end machines. The distribution includes only GTK+ applications where possible.
"

It is basically light-weight and for lower -end machines. Include only GTK+. does this means some application may not run and it is not truly compatible?
It is slightly lighter weight than Ubuntu, I gather. There seems to be some difference of opinion on how much lighter.

As far as I know, Ubuntu only tends to include GTK+ apps by default as well. All these distros (not so sure about mint) use the same software repositories (like an app store), so all the same software is available on all versions. The desktop appearance and the set of applications installed by default differs betwen them though.

You might find it worthwhile to burn a live CD (or stick) of each, and give them a 10-minute tryout. Then you'll be in a much better position to decide which one looks the most comfortable to you.

QIII
June 9th, 2012, 01:14 AM
If you are asking whether Xubuntu is somehow inferior or less capable, the answer is no.

Think lighter car with the same engine and no leather seats.

(But don't run too far with the analogy.)

ramsforums
June 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM
It is slightly lighter weight than Ubuntu, I gather. There seems to be some difference of opinion on how much lighter.

As far as I know, Ubuntu only tends to include GTK+ apps by default as well. All these distros (not so sure about mint) use the same software repositories (like an app store), so all the same software is available on all versions. The desktop appearance and the set of applications installed by default differs betwen them though.

You might find it worthwhile to burn a live CD (or stick) of each, and give them a 10-minute tryout. Then you'll be in a much better position to decide which one looks the most comfortable to you.

Thank you I will give a try.

ramsforums
June 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM
If you are asking whether Xubuntu is somehow inferior or less capable, the answer is no.

Think lighter car with the same engine and no leather seats.

(But don't run too far with the analogy.)

Thanks and nicely you put it

Norwal
January 8th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Thank you very much for the post re classicmenu. Perhaps now I can get back to Ubuntu instead of Mint. I like Mint, but I prefer the overal feel of Ubuntu. :):guitar: