PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fail to install Openoffice.

GwibberFooey
June 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I have recently migrated to Ubuntu 12.04 and I have mostly got it configured to my liking. But in one aspect I am still running into major major problems.

I tried to install Openoffice by going:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/office

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install openoffice

Now I have icons in the Applications menu (I am using Classic Gnome) that indicate Openoffice is installed, including Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math and Writer. But when I select one of them then the application fails to load.

OpenSourceRules
June 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I believe it is now Libreoffice. Open Office was the old name, I believe.

wilee-nilee
June 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM
If you want openoffice you need to completely purge libreoffice, including doing a file search to get every single file, and remove it from the .config in home.

Libreoffice really has more to offer at this point I think

Both doc writers have some same files and have to be completely wiped to move from one to the other.

GwibberFooey
June 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
On my previous operating system I had Openoffice not Libreoffice. When I brought over my office documents to my new system, the spreadsheets (.ods) and the text (.odt) files worked fine in Libreoffice but the database (.odb) files did not work. That is why I chose to uninstall Libreoffice and try to install Openoffice.

I have no preference between Openoffice and Libreoffice. My goal is to be able to use my files. So I would be just as happy to get Libreoffice to read my .odb format database as I would be if Openoffice did it.

wilee-nilee
June 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
On my previous operating system I had Openoffice not Libreoffice. When I brought over my office documents to my new system, the spreadsheets (.ods) and the text (.odt) files worked fine in Libreoffice but the database (.odb) files did not work. That is why I chose to uninstall Libreoffice and try to install Openoffice.

I have no preference between Openoffice and Libreoffice. My goal is to be able to use my files. So I would be just as happy to get Libreoffice to read my .odb format database as I would be if Openoffice did it.

Understandable, you just have to do a full purge to get openoffice.

I don't really know about the docs needing read though sorry. ;)

GwibberFooey
June 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I am willing to work with Libreoffice. From what I have read today it seems like it is better than Openoffice. Does Libreoffice have the ability to read and modify a .odb database that was created in an older version of Openoffice?

Enigmapond
June 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Yes it should do fine. Have you tried it? You already have Libre installed by default. Just give it a go and you will have your answer.

GwibberFooey
June 8th, 2012, 09:48 PM
The .odb database did not work in Libreoffice. That was the reason why I wanted to install Openoffice.

Enigmapond
June 8th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Well it saves as .odb just the same and I have some very old openoffice db's that open just fine. You tried by opening Librebase and then opening an existing odb file?

GwibberFooey
June 9th, 2012, 05:18 AM
It works because I started Libreoffice before the database file. But it still does not work if I select the database file without first launching Libreoffice Base. Clicking on the database file results in a error window saying "Archive type not supported." Therefore I realized it is trying to use Archive Manager to open the file. So I went to Properties for the database file and set the default application for opening this and all files of type .odb to Libreoffice Base. Problem solved.