PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Video file thumbnails in Lubuntu

Gannin
June 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I installed Lubuntu and noticed there were no video file thumbnails in the file manager, pcmanfm. I did some poking around and it looked like some people were saying because of some changes in Gnome 3, pcmanfm wasn't able to create video thumbnails anymore.

So, I installed nautalis, using it with the --no-desktop option, but it also wouldn't give me any video thumbnails. Is there some way I can get video thumbnails within Lubuntu with either pcmanfm or nautalis? Thanks.

MG&TL
June 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I installed Lubuntu and noticed there were no video file thumbnails in the file manager, pcmanfm. I did some poking around and it looked like some people were saying because of some changes in Gnome 3, pcmanfm wasn't able to create video thumbnails anymore.

So, I installed nautalis, using it with the --no-desktop option, but it also wouldn't give me any video thumbnails. Is there some way I can get video thumbnails within Lubuntu with either pcmanfm or nautalis? Thanks.

I think it's a bug, rather than a change, as it should be possible in Gnome 3.

However, both PCManFM and Nautilus have a Gnome3 backend, so I'm afraid you're out of luck. What version are you using of Lubuntu?

Gannin
June 8th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm using Lubuntu 12.04. I know that in Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity, video thumbnails work, but I prefer the interface of Lubuntu. Is there some package that can be installed to get this working? Or are video thumbnails in general just not going to work in Lubuntu?

Rex Bouwense
June 8th, 2012, 09:06 PM
This is interesting. Some of my thumbnails work and some do not and I am using Lubuntu 12.04. I'm not sure what is going on.

Gannin
June 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I should add that not even my good old .ogv / .ogg video thumbnails are working, when they should really be the first to work.

Rex Bouwense
June 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Just thought of something and perhaps it may be answer to your question. Go to PCManFM->Preferences->Display. Adjust the Do not generate thumbnails exceeding size to whatever you want it to be. I had to play with that a while back to get thumbnails to generate.

Gannin
June 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM
I actually did try that before making my original post and it didn't do anything for me. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Rex Bouwense
June 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry. When I remembered that, I changed it upwards and all of my thumbnails are now visable. I did have to adjust it about 5 Mbs (5500 Kbs exactly) to view some of the thumbnails of the larger pictures.

I just realized that you are talking about videos and I'm giving you answers for pictures. Probably not the same.

Gannin
June 21st, 2012, 09:27 PM
I think I set it to about a gig or so just to be safe, but no results.

I think what I'll probably do is instead of going with Lubuntu, I'll just go with regular Ubuntu, considering it's still good to be familiar with Unity because that's what the majority of people are using, and then I'll install OpenBox along side it and maybe use the XFCE panel and Thunar along with that.

Rex Bouwense
June 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Hate to lose you, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do:popcorn:

Lyfang
November 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hi, try to install ffmpegthumbnailer and follow the instructions here: Thumbnails for video files missing (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pcmanfm/+bug/1064089)