PDA

View Full Version : What does UEFI mean for Linux?

Shadius
June 8th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Hey everybody! :)

I've been hearing a lot of things about UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) and I just wanted to start a discussion about what it'll mean for Linux. What are your opinions?

Happy sharing! :)

ExSuSEusr
June 8th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Hello reoccurring!

Ok brother... that was mean... I apologize.

But there is already a ton of posts on this topic - so the mods are going to move this to reoccurring most def.

Shadius
June 8th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hello reoccurring!

Ok brother... that was mean... I apologize.

But there is already a ton of posts on this topic - so the mods are going to move this to reoccurring most def.

I had no idea. :( In that case, this thread can be deleted. Sorry mods.

ExSuSEusr
June 8th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Bla! Don't apologize to "them" ;)

Post whatever you want!!!

To answer your question my Ubuntu brother... I think UEFI is horrible.... I think it will hurt Linux in the long run, but there a lot of people who think it's a good thing.

Red Hat and Fedora already caved.... but our beloved Ubuntu (Canonical) hasn't yet..... so we'll see.

The bigger question is what do YOU think about it?

Shadius
June 8th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Bla! Don't apologize to "them" ;)

Post whatever you want!!!

To answer your question my Ubuntu brother... I think UEFI is horrible.... I think it will hurt Linux in the long run, but there a lot of people who think it's a good thing.

Red Hat and Fedora already caved.... but our beloved Ubuntu (Canonical) hasn't yet..... so we'll see.

The bigger question is what do YOU think about it?

To answer your question my fellow Ubuntu user, when I heard about UEFI, I thought the interface was good, but then I heard about how it would restrict other bootloaders. I don't know much details about it, but from what I know I have to agree with you in saying that it might hurt Linux in the long run, which saddens me. I think, Microsoft especially, is trying it stop Linux from competing.

ExSuSEusr
June 8th, 2012, 05:00 AM
You are absolutely right!

Basically, Microsoft has come up with this idea (in the name of security) to create a key system.

Windows 8 will have 1 half of the key and the firm ware of the hardware in our computers will have the second part of the key - the "public" key.

If the keys don't match up the computer wont boot. And, since MS controls who gets the "private" key - the control what OS's can be loaded.

Bottom line... they can strong arm the hardware vendors into disabling the option to disable UEFI. Which means Linux can't be loaded.

UEFI is actually a good thing in its design... but that ONE option is horrible. And for RH and Fed to cave just makes it worse.

p.s I really do apologize... I was just giving you a hard time :)

We are Linux - we don't cave to the demands of freaking MS..... Don't get me started.

KiwiNZ
June 8th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Well and truly covered

Thread closed