PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Low res monitor/EDID problems with ubuntu./Mint

Halodude
June 8th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Hiya, new to the forums, but not new to the OS ;)

I want to install Ubuntu on my PC, to dual boot alongside my Win 7 partition.

Problem is, when I arrive at the desktop on my Ubuntu Live CD, I cannot seem to adjust my monitor resolution to native (1680x1050) from 1024x768.

My System specs are pretty good (1TB HDD, GTX 460 1GB...) and Windows 7 boots fine at my native resolution, but not so for Ubuntu.

I've done a lot of searching on the internet, and I think the problem may be a bad EDID reading from the monitor to Ubuntu (yet Windows seems to work fine), so that Ubuntu resolution has to default to 1024x768. In xorg.conf there doesn't seem to be any special configurations in it, no signs of '1680' or '1050' in the text.

Also, it seems that every so often when I use Ubuntu from LiveCD the monitor freezes and flickers for a split second. I really doubt that it is down to a bad VGA cable as this same VGA cable displays my Windows Desktop nicely.

Installing nvidia drivers doesn't seem to solve anything. FYI I currently use the nvidia 301.42 drivers on Win 7 partition. Don't know if that is something to bear in mind.

I could do with some replies. Thanks in advance. :)

Halodude
June 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM
/bump

10 chars