PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update 10.04 without unity..I want my old Ubuntu back !!!

Marko90
June 7th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to have Ubuntu 10.04, or 10.10 with all the latest updates, and upgrades like; latest kernel, all security, and software updates but without Unity Desktop. i want to keep old-school Gnome 2.3, because i think that it is by far the best desktop environment, unlike gnome 3 which is more suitable for tablets and phones than it is for laptops or desktops(only my opinion).
Basically, i need Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome 2.3 instead of unity, or any other environment.
I know there is Gnome classic, and xfce, but that's just not the same for me :)...
I want my old Ubuntu back !!!

CharlesA
June 7th, 2012, 11:09 PM
There is practically no difference between Gnome 2 that was in 10.04 and the Gnome 3 version of Gnome Classic in 12.04.

Either don't upgrade or upgrade and deal with it. Running newer packages on an older OS can cause all sorts of problems.

ajgreeny
June 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
There is practically no difference between Gnome 2 that was in 10.04 and the Gnome 3 version of Gnome Classic in 12.04.

Either don't upgrade or upgrade and deal with it. Running newer packages on an older OS can cause all sorts of problems.

+1
I agree totally with this. Just follow the info at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370 and you can end with a DE that is indistinguishable from the classic gnome 2 desktop of 10.04.

I personally dislike unity intensely, but I have now realised that there is no point in fighting against that, but simply choose not use it. That is the great thing about linux and Ubuntu; you can always make a definite choice not to use something as there is almost always an alternative.

12.04 with the classic gnome desktop is great; try it for yourself and you will soon see.