PDA

View Full Version : Plans for delta-deb

JerecDrak2
June 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
So I was wondering if anyone is aware of plans for Ubuntu distributing updates using delta-deb?

I downloaded the Humble Indie Bundle V the other day, and noticed that Bastion had an update available. Unfortunately under the current system that meant the full 1.1GB package had to be re-downloaded. Surely Canonical realise that this doesn't make any sense? If they ever hope to have commercial games available via the software centre, they can't expect everyone to be happy to download the entirety of the game when a 50MB patch would be all that's required?

Thanks for any info/input!

mips
June 7th, 2012, 11:03 PM
So I was wondering if anyone is aware of plans for Ubuntu distributing updates using delta-deb?

I downloaded the Humble Indie Bundle V the other day, and noticed that Bastion had an update available. Unfortunately under the current system that meant the full 1.1GB package had to be re-downloaded. Surely Canonical realise that this doesn't make any sense? If they ever hope to have commercial games available via the software centre, they can't expect everyone to be happy to download the entirety of the game when a 50MB patch would be all that's required?

Thanks for any info/input!

I'm also very keen on deltadebs. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12006552#post12006552 post #36 onwards.

I know for a fact that this is working very well in Fedora but then again it's not deb based.

Cheesehead
June 8th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Quite a bit of discussion and work happened in 2011 on this.
See https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-o-debdelta for the most recent Ubuntu effort.

It seems stalled a bit in 2012, as the developers involved have other tasks this cycle. However, the blueprint is still very good. If any community members want to pick up the dropped ball and run with it, everyone will benefit.

JerecDrak2
June 8th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I see from the blueprint that the task is blocked, does anyone know what the rt ticket number refers to? I'm curious about what the status of the blocking issue is.