PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Windows 7 and Ubuntu at the same time using Wubi?

vcrewchief
June 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'm installing Linux for the first time, with Ubuntu Unleashed as my guide, and they recommend using Wubi if my main OS is Windows, but I'd like to be able to run them both--one on each screen. I've done this with MacOS and Windows, but I partitioned and used a VM. Should I partition and use Microsoft VM or is there a way to make this work using Wubi?

wilee-nilee
June 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm installing Linux for the first time, with Ubuntu Unleashed as my guide, and they recommend using Wubi if my main OS is Windows, but I'd like to be able to run them both--one on each screen. I've done this with MacOS and Windows, but I partitioned and used a VM. Should I partition and use Microsoft VM or is there a way to make this work using Wubi?

You need a virtual then, if you want both running.

Try virtuabox from the Oracle website.

vcrewchief
June 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the help!

mparillo
June 7th, 2012, 09:49 PM

I would also try VMWare Player. For me (also on Win7), after installing VMWare Tools, I found the fonts, mouse, and panel re-sizing, just seemed better on VMWare Player than Oracle VM VirtualBox.

vcrewchief
June 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Virtualbox is awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Here's a little Ubuntu on virtualbox tutorial (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox) for anybody that might stumble on this thread:

vcrewchief
June 8th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Virtualbox is awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Here's a little Ubuntu on virtualbox tutorial (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox) for anybody that might stumble on this thread:

Also, when using virtualbox, there's no need to partition ahead of time. It just creates a giant file and calls it a drive.