PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 live cd does not boot on asus u46e-bal7

fonsopr
June 7th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Hello,

I just bought an asus u46e-bal7, but my Precise live cd will not boot. Does anyone know how to get it working? I'm really liking the machine so far, but I refuse to use *******, if I can't install Ubuntu I'll have to return it...

Thanks,

Alfonso

wilee-nilee
June 7th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Find the per session boot key prompt, on mine it is f12, used as if you were accessing the bios, look on the web or in the manual, if f12 does not get you to the out of the bios per session boot from menu.

fonsopr
June 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Find the per session boot key prompt, on mine it is f12, used as if you were accessing the bios, look on the web or in the manual, if f12 does not get you to the out of the bios per session boot from menu.

Sorry, I think i phrased it wrong. I can boot from the cd, but after the first purple screen, ubuntu does not boot.

wilee-nilee
June 7th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Sorry, I think i phrased it wrong. I can boot from the cd, but after the first purple screen, ubuntu does not boot.

Try the nomodeset option.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

fonsopr
June 7th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Try the nomodeset option.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Thank you. It worked with the acpi=off option. However, the link that you posted states that booting with that option can be dangerous. How do I make sure that all of the key components of my machine (fans, ram, all 4 of the cores) are working?

VMC
June 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Did you first try the "nomodeset" option instead of "acpi=off", to see if it boots?
It appears to have intel video.

wilee-nilee
June 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
So post 6 is a great question.

I'm not sure about the apci option to be honest, my main concern was getting you able to boot the cd.

There is the alternative cd as well a text install, whatever was blocking the boot of this cd may be taken care of with a install and update, and checking the additional drivers app.

fonsopr
June 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Yes, I tried nomodeset and it didn't work.

Thank you both.

fonsopr
June 7th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I just tried it with noapic and nolapic and it worked. Are these safer than acpi=off?