PDA

View Full Version : Netflix uses open-sourced hardware design

Porcini M.
June 7th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Backblaze.com had open sourced their storage server design, and Netflix adopts it for their own data centers:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2012/06/06/netflix-you-flatter-us/

1Yeoj1
June 7th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I sure hope that this means that Ubuntu Software Center will have an app on it with Netflix soon so I can start streaming video through Ubuntu!

Yeoj

QIII
June 7th, 2012, 12:36 AM
If I could get Netflix and Silverlight content (for movies from Infinity) I'd reformat the Windows disk on my main machine and just use RDP for my dedicated Windows machine for development purposes.

Bandit
June 7th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I sure hope that this means that Ubuntu Software Center will have an app on it with Netflix soon so I can start streaming video through Ubuntu!

Yeoj

If that ever happens pretty sure Ubuntu would dominate 3/4ths of the Linux Desktop market. Not to mention I would be jumping for joy.. Currently I have to run it through my Wii.

Porcini M.
June 7th, 2012, 01:36 AM
FYI you can get netflix through a "Roku" box, which are only around $80 here in the US. They're small, and they come with a remote control.

sammiev
June 7th, 2012, 01:43 AM
FYI you can get netflix through a "Roku" box, which are only around $80 here in the US. They're small, and they come with a remote control.

There is also other providers that work other than netflix.

ex_isp
June 16th, 2012, 11:10 PM
"There is also other providers that work other than netflix."

If you have a fair list of these, please post for all users.

ex_isp
June 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Another interesting development is that (we all know the netflix ceo is on the M$ board, hence no Linux support) Netflix is using/testing CentOS Linux for it's own servers, while touting that Linux is not secure enough to accommodate DRM issues (like Mac is?).

http://techblog.netflix.com/search?q=linux

Much of this netflix headache for Linux users boils back down to M$ holstile practices.
M$ is a very big player in the Mac stock market. Hmm. Does this reek of scandal?

Ooops. Sorry, just thinking out-loud. [-X

jockyburns
June 17th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Backblaze.com had open sourced their storage server design, and Netflix adopts it for their own data centers:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2012/06/06/netflix-you-flatter-us/
Not unusual for servers to be running a Linux OS.

fisch246
June 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Another interesting development is that (we all know the netflix ceo is on the M$ board, hence no Linux support) Netflix is using/testing CentOS Linux for it's own servers, while touting that Linux is not secure enough to accommodate DRM issues (like Mac is?).[-X

Well this goes back to everyone believing Mac OS is actually a secure OS. I compare the 3 types of OS like this. Linux is like having sex with a condom, Windows is sex without a condom, and Mac OS is like have sex without contraceptives with a cut on your junk. Graphic representation yes, but it gets the point across the best I think.

Porcini M.
June 17th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Not unusual for servers to be running a Linux OS.

No, I mean the hardware. The hardware design is open-sourced.

ex_isp
June 19th, 2012, 01:27 AM
No, I mean the hardware. The hardware design is open-sourced.

Which perhaps even further illustrates that it is naught more than another (possibly) illegal hostile act by M$.

The powers that be are willing to risk DRM issues to open source, just not to Linux. My God, they even trust their precious DRM to Mac of all things. :roll:

AllRadioisDead
June 19th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Which perhaps even further illustrates that it is naught more than another (possibly) illegal hostile act by M$.

The powers that be are willing to risk DRM issues to open source, just not to Linux. My God, they even trust their precious DRM to Mac of all things. :roll:

You're acting like Microsoft is scared of some mass Linux takeover.

Linux barely has any traction on the desktop, if anything they should be more scared of Apple right now.

I think you might want to take off your tinfoil hat. Microsoft doesn't really care about Linux, one way or the other.

irv
June 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM
PorciniM = FYI you can get netflix through a "Roku" box, which are only around $80 here in the US. They're small, and they come with a remote control.

This is true, I have a Roku box, I also have a Sony Blue-ray DVD player hooked up on a 47” TV plus two Nooks with Netflix, and as of today a Chromebook with Netflix. Netflix works on everything but my Ubuntu computers.

Sammiev = There is also other providers that work other than netflix.

Yes the ones I use are Amazon Prime, Hulu, and many others. One app that I use with Ubuntu is TV-MAXE. You can watch TV from all over the world. Some are in other languages, but many of the movies are in English with subtitles.