PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest update broken wireless (Acer Aspire 5551)

Martyn Thompson
June 6th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hello people,

I have sort of gotten used to updates breaking my wireless however this is a new one on me...

I am using the brcmsmac driver for the broadcom BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01) chip/card.

The problem I am having now is that the connection keeps tripping out every few seconds. It does re-establish again within a few seconds but is really hacking me off, it would be impossible to work with.

Fortunately I have a USB card to use in these situations but if anyone has a fix or hack for this I would be grateful. I have done a search for this on this forum but most recent comments are 2008 so might not be valid for newer drivers.

Any advice out there?

Thanks,

Martyn.

darkod
June 6th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I'm not a network expert but this says it should work with the standard STA driver:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

Did you give it a go?

I think the STA shows up in the Additional Drivers list on a new install. Not sure how it works on an upgrade though.

You might remove (purge) it anyway and reinstall it. There are few approaches in that link.

Martyn Thompson
June 6th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Darkod,

I will give that a try... I did install the STA driver once earlier tonight without success but will give it another go...

Thank you.

Martyn.

Martyn Thompson
June 6th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Just to let you know,

I re-installed the STA driver as suggested but was getting nothing. I had a look at 'dmesg' and nestled amongst all that was a comment about wl not understanding a command I had set to pass to it to enable channels 12 and 13 (I am in the UK).

Anyway, I commented out the command in /etc/modprobe.d/config.conf, modprobed wl and the wireless light came on (yay!) and a few seconds later the connection established and has stayed connected.

I think this is a lesson to self - remember any settings you mess with!

Thanks again Darkod. Without your guidance I wouldn't have known where to start trying to fix.

Martyn.