PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] lost theme for certain applications after update

pickarooney
June 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Strange thing this - after updating to Oneiric some of my apps no longer have my personalised theme. Update Manager, for example, and the additional drivers window have the default 'square grey' theme as opposed to the rounded white theme of almost every other app. I have a feeling I might have to reset something as root in order to make all the windows look the same again.

Is this making sense to anyone?

You can see in pic 1 the square buttons and darker window and the rounder, lighter theme in pic 2.

Also, my PrintScreen button no longer opens ksnapshot (or anything else). I can't remember how to map the button to the application.

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM
For Ubuntu 11.04 is Gnome 2 and 11.10 is Gnome 3 . If it is the same for Xubuntu the Gnome 2 themes will no longer work. If that is not the case I don't know the cause. If you have a different version of XFCE that may cause problems also.

pickarooney
June 7th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Do you think the apps in the screenshots are Gnome2 and Gnome3 respectively? I'm not even sure how to get xfce to apply to gnome (I must have done it at some stage) but it might me something to look into

Frogs Hair
June 7th, 2012, 05:02 PM
The Ubuntu desktop environments all run on top of Gnome . I think the the themes are Gnome 2 and not the applications.See this post. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998885

pickarooney
June 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks, that explains it then. Would it be crazy to try to switch everything back to GTK2 I wonder?

Frogs Hair
June 8th, 2012, 01:02 AM
You would have to do a clean installation of and older version of Ubuntu with no way of saving your configuration . Getting GTK 3 themes would be easier. If you plan to do an installation I would choose 12.04 which has support for 5 years. 11.10 only has support until next year.

pickarooney
June 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM
For the time being I've cobbled together my existing gtk2.0 theme and another gtk3.0 theme with a similar look. Ideally, I'd lke to modify the 3.0 so it harmonises better with rounded buttons and such. It's proving impossible to find a tutorial on creating/editing gtk3.0 themes though.

Frogs Hair
June 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Start section III at the link . http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.0/