PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] map of the earth in clock ubuntu 12.04

ndonio
June 6th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Hi all,
I'm wondering if, in ubuntu 12.04 LTS, it's possible to activate the map of the earth in the clock as it was in ubuntu 10.04 LTS, the one showing the shadow and enlighted parts of the earth.

Thanks!

Curtis6767
June 6th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Sunclock is in the software center. Is it possible that's what you're looking for?

I don't know anything about 10.04

ndonio
June 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Not exactly. I'm looking for something like this that appear whenever I click on the time displayed on the top right part of the system tray, as it was in Ubuntu 10.04.

d-carriere
September 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
I would like to relaunch that if someone has an Idea/ a tweak to re-import it. I miss it terribly (I am a geographer and I use it a lot.)

art-wood
November 27th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I don't understand why this feature was taken away!!?? It was soo useful and great. I showed it to everyone how said Linux, Ubuntu sucks :) And as I have friends all over the world I used it a lot. By the way I think most of the people these days have friends all over the world!! So why take it away???
The solution in Unity is really bad as you 1. don't have a map, 2. the weather is seperated from the time, so you need 2 applets to do something which was possible with one click!!!

Here is a picture from the worldmap clock in Ubuntu 10.04 for those of you not know it ;)
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=227845&stc=1&d=1354055489

I want it back!! :(

MG&TL
November 27th, 2012, 11:40 PM
That looks useful! Go file a bug. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+filebug)It's the only way the developers will hear about this.

LuciferRex
November 28th, 2012, 01:36 AM
man, that looks sweet!

antmenj
December 23rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
There is a half baked work around.

Hold down Alt Windows key and right click the top bar.

Select add to panel

Add a clock (yes another one:roll:)

It has the drop down daylight map.

art-wood
February 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
There is a half baked work around.

Hold down Alt Windows key and right click the top bar.

Select add to panel

Add a clock (yes another one:roll:)

It has the drop down daylight map.

This isn't working for me. Are you using gnome 3 or gnome fallback instead of Unity?

uncledonn
February 21st, 2013, 07:58 PM
Getting the original panel back using “gnome-session-fallback” desktop environment in 12.04:

(Windows Key + Alt + right click on menu bar activates the sub-menu)

Install sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-appmenu

This is similar to the old style applications menu found on the left side.

Activate the sub-menu and choose “Add To Tray”

Add:

Clock
Indicator Applet Session
Notification Area
Indicator Applet Appmenu

“Remove From Panel” “Indicator Applet Complete” and move the other ones where you want them.

You will want to leave the “Indicator Applet” with the envelope, network and sound on the panel.