PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 12.04 Application Autostart command is ignored

cacv12000
June 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM
In Xubuntu 12.04 I'm trying to run the following command at startup to align my dual monitors:

/usr/bin/xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1

On my system this command is completely ignored by the XFCE session and startup application at startup.

If I input the command in a terminal it works as intended.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks

ajgreeny
June 5th, 2012, 03:19 PM
In Xubuntu 12.04 I'm trying to run the following command at startup to align my dual monitors:

/usr/bin/xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1

On my system this command is completely ignored by the XFCE session and startup application at startup.

If I input the command in a terminal it works as intended.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks
Trying to run it how?

You can't just put that command into the startup applications command box and run it that way, you may have to make a shell script of it, and point to that in the startup applications list.

You can also try with the complex command
bash -c "/usr/bin/xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1"in the command box, but I am not totally sure about that. A script certainly should work with no problems as far as I can see.

LewisTM
June 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM
The system might need a short delay before running that command.
Try

sh -c "sleep 10 && /usr/bin/xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1"
If it works you can try decreasing the delay a bit.

Cheers!

cacv12000
June 5th, 2012, 04:07 PM
The following command solved the problem:

sh -c "sleep 10 && /usr/bin/xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1"

Thanks!

LewisTM
June 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cool!
Please mark as SOLVED.