PDA

View Full Version : Firefox or Konqueror?

Castar
June 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I'm using Kubuntu 6.06 and I am thinking of using Konqueror since firefox seems a bit slow to me whereas Konqueror is snappier. Will I miss something very important from Firefox (except for the Bookmarks Toolbar, which I already miss ;) ) by using Konqueror?

barbarian
June 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Me, personally, use firefox as web browser and konqi as a file manager.

lazyd2
June 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Me, personally, use firefox as web browser and konqi as a file manager.Same here...

fuscia
i find firefox a little snappier on my machine, but not by much. the extensions make firefox the choice for me. but, i do like konqueror.

outiv
You'll miss any plugins you use with firefox.... personally, I couldn't live without mouse gestures.

Hanj
June 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
And of course some websites won't work as good as they do in Firefox. GMail for example. Maybe there are examples of pages that work better in Konqueror than in Firefox, but they are probably more rare.

njf
June 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
You left out Opera.

G Morgan
June 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Firefox everytime. Like as been mentioned I use Konqueror to browse directories when using KDE but rarely use it for the web.

Sushi
June 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
You'll miss any plugins you use with firefox.... personally, I couldn't live without mouse gestures.

Konqueror supports mouse-gestures.

Back when I used KDE, I used Konqueror as my main browser, with Firefox as a backup. Both of them were fast enough, and compatibility was good. But I found bookmarking to be better in Konqueror, so I just used it. Yes, it can be a little thing that tilts the scales for one particular app :).

Jucato
June 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
It's really up to you. If you love extensions/add-ons and prefer more compatibility with websites, you'd be better off with Firefox.

If you prefer desktop integration and some nice features (spell checking, integration with KGet, better bookmarking features) then I suggest you try Konqueror.

I personally use Konqueror for both browsing and file managing. Except for certain times when Konqueror either fails to load sites properly or crashes when loading some sites. That's when I use Firefox. I don't quite mind using Gmail in Konqueror (use browser spoofing). Besides, I use KMail mostly so I rarely visit GMail, except to erase some rubbish. :D

GeneralZod
June 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Firefox for me is the better browser by far, but the "in KDE" part of the title makes things more complicated - Firefox's lack of KDE integration is a major negative, for me.

At some point, I'm going to knock up a good-enough-for-me(TM) khtml-based browser that has most of the functionality of e.g. Firefox's TabMix Plus plus a few tweaks, integrate it into KDE so it uses KWallet and kio_slaves (easy) and dump Firefox for that. I'll probably call it KBrowser ;)

vayu
June 20th, 2006, 05:01 AM
I'm torn between the two. I use them both and wish Konqueror worked with the firefox plugins better. Plus there are a couple of times Konqueror doesn't render properly. Overall, especially in KDE, I like Konqueror better.

ltmon
June 20th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I like Konqueror better, mainly for the integration (kwallet, drag-and-drop everything, kdown download manager etc.) but also for the speed boost.

Either through preloading, percieved speed or just being faster it seems to load and respond much more quickly than Firefox on my desktop.

L.

RAV TUX
June 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Neither Firefox or Konqueror.

Opera 9 Beta 2 (http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?ver=9.0b) is the only logical choice, try it and you will see what I am talking about.

awakatanka
June 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Konqueror with backup of firefox if a page doesn't render with browserindification.

Total package of konqueror has more to offer, but it has some render errors. So i'm still devided between the two.

Have also opera but it doesn't feel right somehow.