PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want to run Ubuntu 12.04LTS on my older desktop ?

rookie2linux
June 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hi all
I'm new to linux but already a fan for the fact that I don't have to deal w/windows.
well here goes I have an older desktop w/ a a64 x2 3800 1gb. of 533mhz ram and onboard nvida 5150 LE video... an 80Gb. sata hd.
Will I be able to run Ubuntu 12.04LTS. ??? oh and what sucks is that i can not boot from a thumb drive,..
But what I have I have installed on my pc now is ubuntu 8.04LTS. I can upgrade up to 10.04 but for some reason I have had some problems w/ my internet .. It just randomly turns off my ethernet . And I would really like to have 12.04Lts.
Will my hardware support it???

zvacet
June 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
With 1GB of ram you should be able to run 12.04 with unity if that is what are you asking.But if you find out it is ram consuming you can try other desktop environment.I will vote for Lubuntu in your case.See this. (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntu)

BLOODBANKER
June 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, this comp should run 12.04 fine. Even better with more ram, another gig shouldn't be too expensive. Fear keeps us from doing so many things worthwhile. Ubuntu is a modern operating system - supported by a world of users. The forums are a great way to learn if you have any problems. Go for it.

Don't do an upgrade - a full install will go much smoother.

see ya

manino
June 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM
OP can always run 12.04 and switch to a classic desktop.

rookie2linux
June 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM
unfortunetly I can not do a fresh install my crappy mobo won't boot from a usb. and I have no cd's:(....
And another thing I have DsL from verizon but I am averaging 120kb's download rate which is super slow. I'm wondering wether this is b/c I have no home phone. It is just plugged into the the phone jack.
What should the average download speed be??
Appreciate the help,
Dom

kurt18947
June 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM
unfortunetly I can not do a fresh install my crappy mobo won't boot from a usb. and I have no cd's:(....
And another thing I have DsL from verizon but I am averaging 120kb's download rate which is super slow. I'm wondering wether this is b/c I have no home phone. It is just plugged into the the phone jack.
What should the average download speed be??
Appreciate the help,
Dom

Verizon DSL download speed varies A LOT with your distance from Verizon's Central Office. We had Verizon DSL, we would get 3 Mb./sec but we are less than 5000' from a Central Office. A relative was at something like 18,000 feet from her Central Office. Her speed SUCKED!!!. As far as running Ubuntu I had a system similar to yours 'til the SATA ports died. I'd probably opt for Xubuntu or Lubuntu. My system was fine running 10.04 with everything except Flash on certain sites. Flash would peg the CPU usage at 95%+. This was 2 years ago or more.