PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I am a bad typist

Geffers
June 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I, like many people am not a touch typist, I cannot look at the screen and type at the same time.

Having said that I am quite quick and accurate, that is in WINDOWS but I am rubbish in Ubuntu.

In ubuntu I often find myself typing in the middle of a previously typed sentence or paragraph, this can then be difficult to edit and very time consuming.

If this was happening in Windows I'd admit to being a poor typist but it doesn't happen in Windows, only in Ubuntu.

Anyone any suggestions as to the cause.

Geffers

prshah
June 4th, 2012, 01:22 PM
In ubuntu I often find myself typing in the middle of a previously typed sentence or paragraph,

Are you using a laptop? In that case, your palm may be brushing the touchpad while you are typing.

In Windows, the specific drivers can use "palmcheck" options to prevent such action; this can be done in Linux (Ubuntu) too, but the exact method may vary depending on your hardware. Please post specifications of your hardware for further help, if you feel it's required.

hakermania
June 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hey, also, if you would like to learn blind-typing then you should totally check out Klavaro ;)

VanillaMozilla
June 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Play with the adjustments on your touchpad. And this would be a good time to learn to hold your hand so you don't touch the touchpad when you don't intend to.

nll
June 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Try going to System Settings > Mouse and Touchpad > Touchpad > Disable touchpad while typing.

Geffers
June 5th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Are you using a laptop? In that case, your palm may be brushing the touchpad while you are typing.

Strange that I've not considered that, not knowingly touched the pad but it certainly could be the problem.

I have disabled the pad now - wait and see.

Sometimes one looks for complicated solutions and the remedy is easy ;)

Thanks for suggestion.

Geffers