PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft how annoying again!!

ade234uk
June 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Watching the TV the other night they where talking about Microsoft. They are again forcing people to use Microsoft.

For instance you will soon be able to access XBox Live from your mobile and PC. When you use Vista you will be able to see what friends are online in the XBox360 area. You will be to able play against other XBoxers from your PC providing that you run Vista.

Secondly you can send stuff to your mobile phone ie a car and customise this on your mobile and send it back to be played in your XBox game later.

How the hell can Linux & OpenGL compete against this.

rfruth
June 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM
We all know how M$ft opperates .... Ubuntu is okay by me

ade234uk
June 19th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I think how lucky I am that I dont need to use the crap anymore and be told how to use my machine. Its just typical thou, all the positive things we are trying to do for Ubuntu and Microsoft close thingsw off by merging 3 technologies at once. Like I say it annoys me because what about OpenGL and games for Linux. At this rate it will never happen unless we start to create our own ones.

nalmeth
June 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
You should see this as a positive.
Look at how Microsoft is panicking, releasing all these gimmicky features across platforms, features they could only provide (and only they) because of their licensing practices.
They are actually striving to make a line of products that makes people go "Wow", I can queue a track on my Xbox from my Cellphone! Yay! Whoop-di-do

They see the tide of competition, and they're paddlin towards shore. They're being forced to INNOVATE and come up with IDEAS to keep revenue up, rather than the luxury of sitting on top of Mt. Monopoly. They're at risk (still yet long-term) of being taken under by a wave and rubbed up against a rocky sea-floor.

I know it's frustrating, because people will be gimmicked into the old "vendor-lock" trap, and will delay, if not eliminate their thought of jumping ships.

I like to think that they're being antagonized and spurred to innovate finally, and that is a sure sign of the beginning of the end of Planet Microsoft.

tsb
June 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM
MS is just giving J6P what they want like they always have done. When people stop blaming MS for doing an excellent job and deservingly acquiring a huge market share there will be more progress providing alternatives to J6P. As of now, there simply isn't anything close to as good as Windows for J6P. The amount of anti-MS FUD and irrational hatred on this board is disgusting.

Lux Perpetua
June 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Watching the TV the other night they where talking about Microsoft. They are again forcing people to use Microsoft.

For instance you will soon be able to access XBox Live from your mobile and PC. When you use Vista you will be able to see what friends are online in the XBox360 area. You will be to able play against other XBoxers from your PC providing that you run Vista.

Secondly you can send stuff to your mobile phone ie a car and customise this on your mobile and send it back to be played in your XBox game later.

Actually, the features you describe seem kind of cool. Not the sort of thing I'd be likely to use, but still a good idea. If they're attracting customers with actual new features, then that's okay by me. What isn't okay is when they muscle the market around without improving their product, but this isn't a case of that. And this is certainly not a case of Microsoft forcing anybody to do anything.
How the hell can Linux & OpenGL compete against this.I like competition, and so should you. It drives innovation in the market. The better Microsoft software is, the better free software has to be to stand up to it. I like Linux, but I want it to be better, and the only way that's going to happen is if there are a lot of people who want to improve it. Competition is fuel.
MS is just giving J6P what they want like they always have done. When people stop blaming MS for doing an excellent job and deservingly acquiring a huge market share there will be more progress providing alternatives to J6P. As of now, there simply isn't anything close to as good as Windows for J6P. The amount of anti-MS FUD and irrational hatred on this board is disgusting.I've seen you post this word several times now, and I have to know: what is "J6P"?

G Morgan
June 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I think J6P is Joe 6 Pack analogous to Joe Public. I have no problem with MS offering new functionality, ok closing it up on their platform is annoying but its up to Linux to offer alternatives. In the end no one will use this, its one of those things that seem cool but in practice are as worthless as a choclate kettle. Nobody will use these features though people may buy Vista because of them.

What we really have to do is keep pushing Linux and tell people exactly why they should avoid Windows and why these features are irrelevant in practice.