PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing menu bar in wx applications after update

Michele S
June 4th, 2012, 12:32 AM

After updating the OS with apt-get dist-upgrade I discovered that menu bar in wx applications are disappeared.

While in Unity there are no trouble, in Gnome-Shell and Gnome-Classic sessions the menu bars don't appears anymore.

I noticed the bug in these applications:

- Audacity
- wxMaxima

The package that has been updated are:

- libwxbase2.8-0
- libwxgtk2.8-0
- unity-lens-video
- software-center

[woodstock]
June 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Hi all,

I can confirm that behavior. However, for me it does not work neither with Gnome 3 nor with Unity. I had hoped that logging in using Unity would fix the problem.

That's a pity since it seems that all wx applications are affected and we have some data analysis tool in our lab that rely an python-taits and python-traitsui and the wx interface. :-(

Wrapperband-0
June 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I've got this problem in Kubuntu with XFCE desktop.

Audacity starts with no menu.
I can get the menu back in Audacity by pressing Ctr-N , which then starts a new instance with the menu back.

nairboon
July 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
A temporary workaround is switching the gnome theme and the menubar apears again.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wxwidgets2.8/+bug/662077

RavanH
August 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
This bug sucks about as it seems to bring the horrors of Unity to the Gnome Shell. (= personal opinion, not meant to start a flame against Unity)

A temporary workaround is switching the gnome theme and the menubar apears again.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wxwidgets2.8/+bug/662077

Excellent! That works for poEdit, pySVN ( SVN Workbench) and rapidSVN too... Sadly, you have to do this EACH time you open the application :( but then again, it's a work-around. Thanks for sharing :)

MoonCactus
December 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Cool, on kubuntu, I "simply" got rid of the bug with:

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk

There were no package dependent on this one, so it was really smooth.