PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor about 5 years old is stating to flicker and the light is really dim

nec207
June 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
My LCD monitor about 5 years old is stating to flicker and the light is really dim . What could the problem be?

What is bulb or inverter do and what is cost to replace it if that is the problem.Some people say it could be the bulb or inverter .

CharlesA
June 3rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
My LCD monitor about 5 years old is stating to flicker and the light is really dim . What could the problem be?

What is bulb or inverter do and what is cost to replace it if that is the problem.Some people say it could be the bulb or inverter .
backlight.

Linuxratty
June 3rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
Planned obsolescence.:mad:

Bandit
June 4th, 2012, 01:03 AM

Bulb is going out. Not sure about what kind goes in LCDs as I havent had the luxury to have one die on me yet. May be cheaper and less hassle to just buy another monitor. I really like ASUS brands. May be a good reason to get an LED one that should never have to worry about any one bulb going out since there is a lot of them AFAIK.

roelforg
June 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM
+1 for the bad backlight bulb
You can't buy those, but you can take the screen apart and make a new backlight.
If you're interested in it, i'll ask my friend how he did it with an old NEC LCD display.

drawkcab
June 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
time for a new monitor!

Greenborn
June 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Yep time for a new monitor. I had the same problem with an old View Sonic 17", at about the 5 year mark it got very dim. My 17" iMac white from 2007 just started to get the lines of death through the LCD. Still works though but the lines seem to multiply as the months go by. Interestingly my 17" Sony CRT from 1997 still works great!