PDA

View Full Version : When do you crunch it for a exam?

Drenriza
June 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
So the 24-6-2012 i have a Cisco CCNA exam, to get my certification. But i cant really pull it together to read the 3 books (almost done with book 1 of 3), 1.200 pages. It's not because i find the material hard, i read CCNP and understand that just fine with a 80%+ understanding rating, in theoretical and practical tests. And been reading Cisco on and off for the past 4 years.

I just can't find the spirit to get it done and over with.

So what do you do to psyche yourself to read for an exam?

Kind regards.

CharlesA
June 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Practice, practice, practice.

Then on the day of the exam, take your time and always recheck your answers before completing the exam.

Bandit
June 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM
So the 24-6-2012 i have a Cisco CCNA exam, to get my certification. But i cant really pull it together to read the 3 books (almost done with book 1 of 3), 1.200 pages. It's not because i find the material hard, i read CCNP and understand that just fine with a 80%+ understanding rating, in theoretical and practical tests. And been reading Cisco on and off for the past 4 years.

Kind regards.

There is no such thing as crunching for the CCNA exam.. LOL
I read the topic and started to respond 30mins before the test, but then read you was going to take the CCNA and thought surely to god no one is that insane. That test cost hard earned money. Well any way for big certification exams I take 2 or 3 months to make sure I cover the material carefully. I have ADD really bad, so thats like 20 mins of study time every other day for me. :)

Face-Ache
June 4th, 2012, 02:10 AM

Kind regards.

Weird, my CCNA is 4 books;
1 - Networking Fundamentals
2 - Routing Protocols & Concepts
3 - LAN switching and Wireless
4 - Accessing the WAN

We did book 3 before book 2 though; tutor says that learning internal LAN Switching before external Routing makes more sense. I've got exams for book 2 at the end of next week.

At the moment, i find that doing all of the Practice Labs in the books helps more than re-reading the chapters, along with answering the question sections at the end of each chapter. I only really read the chapters to find specific details to help with these labs and question sections.

The Cisco Packet Tracer program is pretty good for the Practice Labs although you've probably found out that there are a few commands that work on a real router but not on the same model router you have in Cisco Packet Tracer. Sounds like you probably have real routers to practice on.

Linuxratty
June 4th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Practice, practice, practice.

Then on the day of the exam, take your time and always recheck your answers before completing the exam.

That's what I did in college and kept a B average.
Study every day...Right now,studying is your "job"..So get off the net and study.

wilee-nilee
June 4th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Crunching is a short term memory load, a waste of time really if you are trying to retain it.

If you studied the crunch afterwards say every other day about three consecutive times, per general statistics on learning typology you might move some to long term, at least for awhile.

QIII
June 4th, 2012, 02:44 AM
As mentioned, cramming is very short term and does not produce mastery.

I recommend a more deliberate course, an attempt to recoup your fee if at all possible and a postponement until you are actually ready.

When you do take the test, remember RTGDQ.

I'll let you figure out the acronym.

KiwiNZ
June 4th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I never crunched for an exam, in fact for two days before any exam I would not pick up a book.

JDShu
June 4th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Pretend the exam is tomorrow and cram :D

Linuxratty
June 4th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I never crunched for an exam, in fact for two days before any exam I would not pick up a book.

Same here. I figured if I did not have it down pat by then,I would not have it at all.

MisterGaribaldi
June 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM
If you're trying to crunch for an exam, you're basically trying to cheat. This is what studying and practice are for. Do those, or prepare to do poorly.

Bachstelze
June 4th, 2012, 06:04 AM
I can't see how it's cheating, but I do agree that reading a lot of material in a short amount of time is a guaranteed recipe for failure.

Drenriza
June 4th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I can't see how it's cheating, but I do agree that reading a lot of material in a short amount of time is a guaranteed recipe for failure.

I'am not sure i agree. Why shouldn't you be able to retain information because you get a lot of it?
If you took a book, lets say 500 pages. And you read it in one day. I bet you would be able to remember more than you think. And then a week later you take the same book and read it in one day. I bet you have now read it faster and remember even more.

Imagine you have a 10 hours long movie. And you have watched that movie 10 times. But their are bits and pieces you cant remember. How would you motivate yourself to watch it for a 11'th time :KS

That test cost hard earned money.
It does. But if you fail (sometimes you do) you can see where your errors are and work harder on those areas, to get a better understanding. From failure comes success.

Weird, my CCNA is 4 books;
1 - Networking Fundamentals
2 - Routing Protocols & Concepts
3 - LAN switching and Wireless
4 - Accessing the WAN

Networking fundamentals is optional not necessary. Since the 3 other books provide you with all the information you need. But if their are people out their who study CCNA / CCNP, get the CBT Nuggets (film clips) by Jeremy. He is absolutely awesome to explain how networking works.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGvM-y3Vk0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V60SupFLTA&feature=related

The Cisco Packet Tracer program is pretty good for the Practice Labs although you've probably found out that there are a few commands that work on a real router but not on the same model router you have in Cisco Packet Tracer. Sounds like you probably have real routers to practice on.

Cisco packet tracer is good for CCNA stuff no doubt about it. And to get over the issue with unsupported features i use GNS3 (CCNP) with a real IOS to emulate a Cisco device. It's not fantastic but it gets the job done. But i also got real equipment for around 1.000$.

Pretend the exam is tomorrow and cram :D

..So get off the net and study.
I don't got a TV (find it boring), i don't play games online, takes to much time. :)

Bachstelze
June 4th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I'am not sure i agree. Why shouldn't you be able to retain information because you get a lot of it?

Because that's how it is, unless you have superhuman memorization abilities.

anaconda
June 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM
LOL,
I wait to to last possible moment. Until there is only about 2 days left to read, and then I panic and read nonstop until the exam...

Yep. Not very smart, but amazingly efficient last 2 days :)