PDA

View Full Version : Spotify: Both the best and worst music streaming service.

Colo2
June 3rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
Who uses spotify?

My opinion:

It's brilliant to have that amount of music at your fingertips. Simply log into the spotify client, and start creating playlists. Simple right?

Well yeah, and it works, but I can't shake the feeling that theres something I dislike about it. For one, sometimes they only have 1 or 2 albums by a particular artist.

Secondly, they interrupt your music with very annoying adverts. Interestingly enough, one of the adverts state that "with spotify, who needs to download MP3s? You have everything you need here, downloading MP3s is an outdated thing to do." Did they consider that with downloaded MP3s, you don't get the annoying adverts? :D

Thirdly, after 6 months of using Spotify, it will limit your listening time to something like 10 or 20 hours a month.

They wonder why people download music? :D - Thoughts?

roelforg
June 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Who uses spotify?

My opinion:

It's brilliant to have that amount of music at your fingertips. Simply log into the spotify client, and start creating playlists. Simple right?

Well yeah, and it works, but I can't shake the feeling that theres something I dislike about it. For one, sometimes they only have 1 or 2 albums by a particular artist.

Secondly, they interrupt your music with very annoying adverts. Interestingly enough, one of the adverts state that "with spotify, who needs to download MP3s? You have everything you need here, downloading MP3s is an outdated thing to do." Did they consider that with downloaded MP3s, you don't get the annoying adverts? :D

Thirdly, after 6 months of using Spotify, it will limit your listening time to something like 10 or 20 hours a month.

They wonder why people download music? :D - Thoughts?

The worst thing is: I've seen DJ's that rely on spotify for their music.
I'll stick with mp3 files and mixxx (or vlc, depending on when/why i'm playing the files), thankyouverymuch.

Dry Lips
June 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
The worst thing about Spotify is that you have to have a Facebook account in order to use the service. I think that sucks big time! If it wasn't for that, I would sign up with them.

Bandit
June 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I dont use it. I prefer to just use the stations on Shoutcast.com. They have been working great for ~10 years now.

EDIT:

Actually I wouldnt use any streaming source that requires me to register it. Just dont make any since to me.

Colo2
June 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
good point, I never realised you had to use facebook.

I just lost the remaining respect I had for it.

Dry Lips
June 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
I dont use it. I prefer to just use the stations on Shoutcast.com. They have been working great for ~10 years now.

EDIT:

Actually I wouldnt use any streaming source that requires me to register it. Just dont make any since to me.

How do you use Shoutcast? Do you have to use Brasero in order to listen to those stations?

Henkdroid
June 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
I used to use it all the time, I registered before they demanded you use facebook to register, and I loved it and the ads didn't seem to bother me. However they then imposed a rule "you can only listen to a song 5 times on spotify free" I stopped using it after that.

MisterGaribaldi
June 4th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I already make use of Pandora and Shoutcast. Also, I am a FB user but I don't use any apps on it and am very restrictive in any access granted to it, both on FB itself and also IRL. From what I've heard on here, there's nothing which makes me want to use Spotify myself.

PC_load_letter
June 4th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I tried the premium service on Spotify and didn't like it because:
- for $10 a month in the US, it's a ripoff on the long run, I mean in a couple of years I'd end up paying $240, that's a lot of money that could go towards buying more CDs.

- Quite a few of my favorite artists were not available, it's a US thing because my brother in Sweden (Spotify originated there), these artists have their full discographies available.

- The quality, although they claim to be 320k on the premium, is kind of hard to believe. It's not the same as my ripped mp3s.

- Oh, and to cancel the premium account, I had to send them an email containing my name, date of birth (I gave them a false one initially), and address because guess what, to cancel your account you need to login to your Spotify account to do that, the FB login is not recognized then, go figure.

So I keep using the free version, if I like something, I buy it.

roelforg
June 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
How do you use Shoutcast? Do you have to use Brasero in order to listen to those stations?

*Spits out drink*

What made you think you need a CD/DVD burn program to listen to audio streams?
Just use a mediaplayer (vlc works for me (i like vlc because it has so much in-/output options))

ugm6hr
June 4th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I think the free streaming service from grooveshark is much better... You can register to maintain playlists etc, but don't have to if you are just looking for a one-off...
Although grroveshark adverts are getting more intrusive too on the free service. Worth looking at though, if you want to check stuff out.

Dry Lips
June 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM
*Spits out drink*

What made you think you need a CD/DVD burn program to listen to audio streams?
Just use a mediaplayer (vlc works for me (i like vlc because it has so much in-/output options))

LOL! Right, Brasero is that CD/DVD burning program... I didn't give it a second thought, I was thinking about Banshee... But as a matter of fact, I didn't make this up. See the enclosed screenshot for what happens if I try to open one of the radio stations...

roelforg
June 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM
LOL! Right, Brasero is that CD/DVD burning program... I didn't give it a second thought, I was thinking about Banshee... But as a matter of fact, I didn't make this up. See the enclosed screenshot for what happens if I try to open one of the radio stations...
Something's seriously wrong with the file assocs on your system...