PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12:04 Live CD install returns terminal like interface (can't edit)

Alien260
June 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my machine from 10:04 to 12:04, I have tried with both a live CD and a bootable USB and I get the same issue. Welcome Ubuntu screen loads and when it tires to load the live Ubuntu interface it seems to just return a terminal interface that is unreactive.

I can still log into the current version of ubuntu fine and use it but it seems that the upgrade will not work! (btw downloaded the ubuntu iso twice to ensure that it wasn't a corrupt image)

Any help would be great!

2F4U
June 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded iso file before burning it on cd or usb?

sanderj
June 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my machine from 10:04 to 12:04, I have tried with both a live CD and a bootable USB and I get the same issue. Welcome Ubuntu screen loads and when it tires to load the live Ubuntu interface it seems to just return a terminal interface that is unreactive.

I can still log into the current version of ubuntu fine and use it but it seems that the upgrade will not work! (btw downloaded the ubuntu iso twice to ensure that it wasn't a corrupt image)

Any help would be great!

Why not upgrade without download / burning a CD? See http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-1004-1010-1104-to-ubuntu-1110-oneiric-ocelot-desktop-a-server/

HTH

darkod
June 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Actually if the live mode has an issue running, it's better not to upgrade online since there is big chance the upgraded installation will have the same issue. Until you find out what is bothering it, I wouldn't upgrade.

If you have nvidia, did you try booting into live mode with the nomodeset parameter?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10069997&postcount=1

Alien260
June 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hey guys,

thanks for the reply!

To try and answer in order:

2F4U - checksum checked and validated on both USB and CD :(

sanderj - Thanks for the link def useful regardless but I am trying to have a nice fresh clean as I have been upgrading for a while and want to take the chance to remove all the "junk" and start fresh!

darkod - Thats a fair point but it makes me sad :P ... I wish I could upgrade to the new version! I do have a nvidia card will try your suggestion and follow the link you provided and fingers crossed it will work !

Thanks for the help! will report back with anything new!!