PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates downloaded but will not install

SUPERFITTER
June 3rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
I have 11.10 installed and have not had any problems updating until now.

I get this message when I run Update Manager:
55 updates are ready to install. Updates have already been down loaded, but not installed.

I click: Install up dates

It then asks for Ubuntu 12.04 disk to be placed in optical drive, which I do.

I then get this message:
Failed to download package files.
Check your Internet connection.

My Internet connection works just fine.

Any suggestions, as to my next step?

dino99
June 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
you need to deactivate that cd entry line into /etc/apt/sources.list (comment it out)

SUPERFITTER
June 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
you need to deactivate that cd entry line into /etc/apt/sources.list (comment it out)

How do I do that?

Lorin Ricker
June 3rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
How do I do that?

Generally, to edit a text (configuration) file that is owned by root (that is, a "system config" file, etc.), you need to use an editor that has been launched by sudo. This is typically done by prefixing your editor command with gksudo (see man gksudo).

So, pick your favorite text editor -- using gedit here just as an example, but you could nano, or vim, or emacs, if you wanted to -- thus:

$ gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Note that, at this point, you've got a text editor open with full sudo (root) privileges, hacking the file in question -- and you could, if you want, open additional system text files in other tabs and have your way with 'em. Hey, it's your system... your responsibility.

Back to /etc/apt/sources.list -- it's likely that the line you're looking for is either the first one, or near the top, and begins with the text "deb cdrom:#deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ...[/CODE]

Having made just that one change, you can save-file-&-exit. You're done.

Having gone through all of this for your /etc/apt/sources.list file, there's also a GUI-tool-way to do this. Just open your Update Manager and click on the Settings button (lower left-corner) to bring up the Software Sources dialog box. On the Ubuntu Software tab, [U]uncheck the "Cdrom with Ubuntu 12.04 'Precise Pangolin' - Officially supported - Restricted copyright" checkbox (you'll have to enter your authorization password in a prompt-box, just as if you were doing a sudo command), which disables the same text option in /etc/apt/sources.list ... Done. (Confirm that this actually does the same thing as editing the file by doing "sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list" before and after unchecking the box.)

So, two ways of doing the same thing... Hope this helps demystify a few things for you. -- Lorin

SUPERFITTER
June 4th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Thank you, dino99 and Lorin Ricker for your response to my problem.

I unchecked the box and ran the Update Manager and all is good. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 'Precise Pangolin' but I did not install. I don't know how that box would have been checked?

Problem Solved and thank you both again! ):P