PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] No Activities bar displayed in Gnome 3

marmaladejackson
June 3rd, 2012, 05:30 AM
Good evening,

Just upgraded moments ago to 12.04. While using 11.10, I was using the "Classic Gnome" fall back, but was recently watching videos on Gnome 3 and decided to give it a try. When I log in, I get nothing but wall paper. The two programs I have set to launch on startup run fine, but nothing happens after that. ALT+F2, the super (logo) key, ALT+super key do nothing. I can right click and interact with the desktop if I wish, but nothing more. If I create a new user account and log in as him, Gnome 3 works just as advertised. I've tried re-installing Gnome shell but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Should I try resetting to defaults as described here?
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/resetting-gnomes-settings-ubuntu

Thanks Much!
Brian

wilee-nilee
June 3rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Good evening,

Just upgraded moments ago to 12.04. While using 11.10, I was using the "Classic Gnome" fall back, but was recently watching videos on Gnome 3 and decided to give it a try. When I log in, I get nothing but wall paper. The two programs I have set to launch on startup run fine, but nothing happens after that. ALT+F2, the super (logo) key, ALT+super key do nothing. I can right click and interact with the desktop if I wish, but nothing more. If I create a new user account and log in as him, Gnome 3 works just as advertised. I've tried re-installing Gnome shell but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Should I try resetting to defaults as described here?
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/resetting-gnomes-settings-ubuntu

Thanks Much!
Brian

No, that is from 2010, a different desktop, gnome 2.

Look in additional drivers for any needed drivers.

marmaladejackson
June 3rd, 2012, 05:51 AM
Nope, no additional drivers. And like I said, I created a guest account and Gnome 3 works just fine there.

Thanks!
Brian

carl4926
June 3rd, 2012, 06:25 AM
I'd say you have crud in your normal user account, it can be almost impossible to find. That's why the new account works.
In the past I have backed up all my files in my normal login, created a new user, login to new user, deleted my old account and then recreated it. Then copy all my files back over.

You might want some hidden stuff like
.mozilla
.thunderbird
.wine

marmaladejackson
June 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I just decided to create a new user account and copy all my files from the original home directory. Works well now. Starting to like the Gnome 3 interface!

Thanks all!
Brian