PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] On removing unity

traditionalist
June 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Just some more information I came across on this;

http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/paul/opensource/not-unified-removing-unity-from-ubuntu-12-04-lts

DMGrier
June 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Why remove Unity? You can always install another desktop UI and just switch to that. I guess I just do not understand the Unity hate being that it runs so great for me.

traditionalist
June 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why remove Unity? You can always install another desktop UI and just switch to that. I guess I just do not understand the Unity hate being that it runs so great for me.

I don't hate it. It would be remarkably silly to hate a piece of software. I don't like it, I found it unusable, but that is not why I removed it. I could not get my graphics to work as long as it was present. Now that I have removed it they work OK.

vasa1
June 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
I don't hate it. It would be remarkably silly to hate a piece of software. I don't like it, I found it unusable, but that is not why I removed it. I could not get my graphics to work as long as it was present. Now that I have removed it they work OK.

While that may certainly be true in your case, it's unusual. Most folks whose hardware can't handle Unity know about it by testing the Live CD and don't install it it the first place.

As mentioned, once another DE is chosen at login, Unity has no role to play.

traditionalist
June 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
While that may certainly be true in your case, it's unusual. Most folks whose hardware can't handle Unity know about it by testing the Live CD and don't install it it the first place.

As mentioned, once another DE is chosen at login, Unity has no role to play.

It runs from a live CD. It does not run properly when installed. This has to do with graphics driver problems. This may well be unusual, but it is the case here.

It may well have no role to play once another desktop environment is chosen, that does not mean it has no effect. Also, why should I keep something I don't use.

vasa1
June 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
... Also, why should I keep something I don't use.
While that's perfectly reasonable, the link you provided could cause newbies more trouble than it's worth.

Unless you have thoroughly tested a procedure to remove Unity from 12.04 on several machines yourself, it may not be the best thing to suggest procedures found on the internet that really speaking could cause problems, as admitted by the author of the blog himself.

traditionalist
June 2nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
While that's perfectly reasonable, the link you provided could cause newbies more trouble than it's worth.

Unless you have thoroughly tested a procedure to remove Unity from 12.04 on several machines yourself, it may not be the best thing to suggest procedures found on the internet that really speaking could cause problems, as admitted by the author of the blog himself.

I am a complete newbie. I have been using 12.04 for three weeks. I very nearly gave up because I could not get it to work properly. I installed the system new at least forty times in the first week.

I have done this on ONE machine. ( Listed in my Signature). Which now works, and I am incidentally extremely happy with it.

Anybody who installs anything at all on any machine does so at their own risk.

corrytonapple
June 2nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
and on that note, most help in this forum has not been tested on SEVERAL machines.
Also he said "Just some more information I came across this"
it did not say "If you have issues with Unity and want to uninstall it, make sure you do this!"
When you join the forum, and use Ubuntu, you accepted an agreement saying that if any given help hurts your machine, or Ubuntu does, the forums are not accountable. Obviously he is not knowingly giving malicious help.

DMGrier
June 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Well if Unity does not work for some I do recommend Cinnamon 1.4, been using it here and there cause I do prefer Unity but it does run great.

corrytonapple
June 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm testing Linux Mint 13 right now with Cinnamon. It is awesome.
I realized how much I love GNOME 2 again.

traditionalist
June 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Well if Unity does not work for some I do recommend Cinnamon 1.4, been using it here and there cause I do prefer Unity but it does run great.

I tried a couple when I could not get the default installation to work. Cinnamon and Mate shot the machine down completely and I could not recover. Not least because I had no idea how to recover a crashed Linux machine. So I just kept on reinstalling and trying things until I found one that worked.

The only one I have found which works stably and well on this machine is "GNOME Classic".

As I wrote, I am very very pleased with this system now, ( and will be even more so once I get another graphic card which is properly supported), but I have already switched completely from Windows, and am learning more about Linux every day and enjoying it.

This whole thing may well be completely unusual and I am not suggesting anybody does things like this "for fun" as it were. I only did it because I could not find any other solutions to the problems I was having.

DMGrier
June 2nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Man I remember when I first started using Ubuntu 8.04 gnome and I wanted to try KDE so I installed it on my laptop and it did not run so well on my computer so I removed it but I did something wrong and it would boot but when I would try to install anything software/updates it would say there is no OS to be found.

matt_symes
June 2nd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hi

Out of interest traditionalist, do you know why it would not work when you installed it but did work from a liveCD ?

What did not work ? What symptoms did you have ?

It's been a very good while since i installed from a LiveCD/USB. That's why i'm interested.

Kind regards

inashdeen
June 3rd, 2012, 12:10 AM
I am advocation KDe. nice and stable.

traditionalist
June 3rd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hi

Out of interest traditionalist, do you know why it would not work when you installed it but did work from a liveCD ?

What did not work ? What symptoms did you have ?

It's been a very good while since i installed from a LiveCD/USB. That's why i'm interested.

Kind regards

Sorry, no. I have no idea. It just blew my graphics away. Since this was the first time ever I had used Linux at all, I was in a bit of a panic. I have tried it again quite a few times since, but the same things occur, when unity is present it just garbles my graphics completely. The live CD will boot and runs, but as soon as I install it the graphics are gone. The identical system ( built using Remastersys ;

http://www.remastersys.com/

works perfectly on an older machine, and with unity enabled.

By the way, as a few people asked, I am a complete newbie to Linux, but I am not a complete newbie to computers! :)

I am not really bothered since I got GNOME Classic up and running so well. Perhaps also of interest is that the proprietary AMD drivers cause much the same effect if I try to install them. The generic drivers work fine but of course are not as fast as a dedicated driver would be.

Interestingly also, the system designates my graphics as "unknown";

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1758/details001.th.png (http://img515.imageshack.us/i/details001.png/)

though they are the standard drivers from the Ubuntu 64 BIt iso. No tweaks or changes at all.

I have spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get the AMD drivers to work, but as yet unsuccessfully.

These things are obviously connected, but I do not have enough information to give you precise information. ( If I had, they would be working! :) ).

matt_symes
June 3rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Hi

Sorry, no. I have no idea. It just blew my graphics away. Since this was the first time ever I had used Linux at all, I was in a bit of a panic. I have tried it again quite a few times since, but the same things occur, when unity is present it just garbles my graphics completely. The live CD will boot and runs, but as soon as I install it the graphics are gone. The identical system ( built using Remastersys ;

http://www.remastersys.com/

works perfectly on an older machine, and with unity enabled.

By the way, as a few people asked, I am a complete newbie to Linux, but I am not a complete newbie to computers! :)

I am not really bothered since I got GNOME Classic up and running so well. Perhaps also of interest is that the proprietary AMD drivers cause much the same effect if I try to install them. The generic drivers work fine but of course are not as fast as a dedicated driver would be.

Interestingly also, the system designates my graphics as "unknown";

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1758/details001.th.png (http://img515.imageshack.us/i/details001.png/)

though they are the standard drivers from the Ubuntu 64 BIt iso. No tweaks or changes at all.

I have spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get the AMD drivers to work, but as yet unsuccessfully.

These things are obviously connected, but I do not have enough information to give you precise information. ( If I had, they would be working! :) ).

I do see your problem.

I can't do it tonight however, if you are interested, then over the next couple of days we can start to see if Unity is installable on your machine.

There are machines (Graphics cards) where it just will not happen, however if you want to try to install it then there are people here who can help. At least give you a definitive answer if it's installable.

Kind regards

traditionalist
June 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
Hi

I do see your problem.

I can't do it tonight however, if you are interested, then over the next couple of days we can start to see if Unity is installable on your machine.

There are machines (Graphics cards) where it just will not happen, however if you want to try to install it then there are people here who can help. At least give you a definitive answer if it's installable.

Kind regards

Thank you, that is most kind of you, but I tried Unity fairly extensively on another machine in the meantime, and I don't like it. I am happy with what I have. I don't want to waste time installing something I don't want anyway! :)

I will keep at the graphics driver problem, but even that is not really a major problem any more, if necessary I will just keep changing graphic cards until I find one that works perfectly.

Even on a slightly graphically crippled machine, this system is marvelous! I can not imagine why I never tried it before. Now you would have to prise it away from me! :)