PDA

View Full Version : GMail or Evolution with GMail?

LichiMan
March 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Hi all,
I love Evolution but now, I've all my mails into gmail. All my account mails are fowarded to gmail and for now I always see my mails with www.gmail.com
I would love to use Evolution again but I like to have all my emails on gmail... so If I send an email from Evolution I haven't that email in my gmail account.
So... How do you use gmail with evolution? I don't mean that you use gmail with pop3 in evolution but what's your workflow?
I don't know if this post have sense :) but I'd love use Evolution at home and gmail at work with all the emails in the two places... :?

DoubleDangerClub
March 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to have all emails in both places. It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

As far as I know, when you use the pop3 service of gmail, it's just using their sending server to send the mail, not store it on their side. I could be wrong though.

Anyhow, I tried using evolution with gmail, but gave up because I already like gmail and it's easy enough for me to get to and I never look at email when I'm not online, so I just stopped using evolution. But I agree, I would like to have it both ways. It'd be nice.

DDC

LichiMan
March 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I think that gmail is easy enough for me too, but I like how evolution is integrated on the rest of the gnome desktop (contacts applet, gaim, "send to..." feature of nautilus...) and I'd like to use it.
I think I'll try to use gmail on evolution at home and from its website at work and I'll see how it goes.
Thanks.

jdodson
March 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
i use gmail, though i imported all my messages into evolution just to see if the functionality worked(it did). though in the end, the gmail interface i liked better. plus it was one less program open.

jeremy
March 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I just set up a client with gmail pop (using thunderbird 1 (can't wait for thunderbird 2 ;-))), and now, when they send an e-mail using thunderbird it shows up at www.gmail.com

Quest-Master
March 15th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I tried GMail with both Thunderbird and Evolution; liking the former more than the other, but the web interface is best of all, IMO. :)

kassetra
March 15th, 2005, 12:57 AM
i use gmail, though i imported all my messages into evolution just to see if the functionality worked(it did). though in the end, the gmail interface i liked better. plus it was one less program open.

That was exactly my experience. Although, since I use Evolution for my work email, my gmail accounts tend to get ignored... so I may have to switch back to gmail on Evolution again...

Nis
March 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM
If you enable pop3 access for your GMail account make sure to archive all accessed messages so they are still available through the web interface. I've been accessing GMail using Evolution for awhile now and it works pretty well. Two things I wish for though: GMail IMAP support and Evolution sending junk reports back to GMail. I hate to archive spam (which happens when pop3 is enabled) and I'd rather stop it at the source. Oh well. Maybe one day.

TravisNewman
March 15th, 2005, 02:28 AM
If you enable pop3 access for your GMail account make sure to archive all accessed messages so they are still available through the web interface. I've been accessing GMail using Evolution for awhile now and it works pretty well. Two things I wish for though: GMail IMAP support and Evolution sending junk reports back to GMail. I hate to archive spam (which happens when pop3 is enabled) and I'd rather stop it at the source. Oh well. Maybe one day.
yes, I've been using Gmail through thunderbird for ages now, and it keeps all my mail on both sides. I don't care for the way gmail handles pop3 on their end, but in the end the web interface is better than most email clients anyway-- I just like having that client.

darkoptix
March 15th, 2005, 02:36 AM
I personnally like the gmail UI better than setting up pop3(and I have). I find it faster to load on dialup and other slow connections. Gmail is a great service.

LichiMan
March 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I agree with Nis, IMAP support would be nice.
I didn't know the spam thing on pop3... that doen't like me : (
Jeremy: You mean that if you send a email from your thunderbird, you'll have that email in your "Sent Mail" on gmail.com?

jsgotangco
March 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I use Evolution mainly for my Gmail. It's pretty handy for threaded lists like ubuntu-users but Gmail has a tendency to put all your sent mail to your inbox if it was created via the browser. Not that its bad, but sending mail thru Gmail would put it on sent items thus the thread doesn't start at all unless you receive replies to your post.

wmcbrine
March 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I use Gmail from Pine (yes, I am a freak) on my main system, and from the web when it's not on and I'm on my laptop. I keep all my mail on my own system; I don't like the idea of leaving it on the server.* But then I have to log in to the web interface periodically anyway, to clear out the Sent and Trash folders.

I also read AOL email from Pine (yes, I'm really a freak). Not that I actually get any mail (besides spam) there, or subscribe; but that's another story...

* Of course, IIRC, as a term of service for Gmail, Google reserves the right to not actually delete your mail when you tell it to, so this is probably futile.

sonojacker
March 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I have been using Evolution and Gmail since I got my Gmail account last year. First with the libgmail hack and then with Gmail's POP3 support. (Everything of course, at our beloved Ubuntu distro, and at a Fedora Core 2 box). My life is Evolution based somehow, so I really need it to keep everything on track with virtual folders organizing my communications. The big problem is that it is SOOOO common for GMAIL to fail sending messages with attachments of more than 200 Kb, through POP3. That's absolutely absurd but it happens.

The solution was simple. I programmed Gmail's powerful filters, to forward every mail with attachments to another pop3 account I have, and trash them inmediately, in order to keep Evolution from trying and failing their download (I was almost fired :oops: a month ago because Evolution couldn't get a message, Gmail marked it as read, and I claimed to have never received it!!! I didn't realised that till I checked my e-mail out of my computer, and backtraced the phantom mail at the achive).

I really need Gmail's POP3 support to be developed. Those guys are doing fine on web services... I will keep my fingers crossed.

IS there anyone having problems with POP3 Gmail's services?

alecz20
August 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Just an update for this thread:

Currently gmail and Evolution work very well using IMAP.

The mail is synched between both the web UI and evolution.

The only problem I have is forwarding emails with large attachments via Evolution... it just takes forever!