PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching from LXDE to Gnome in Lubuntu - Requesting Files

dodle
June 2nd, 2012, 02:46 AM
Before I do a fresh install, I was wondering if anybody who is using Gnome on Ubuntu 12.04 would mind uploading an archive of the files located in /usr/share/gnome/autostart and, in another directory or archive, put the files from /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow. I am trying to switch from LXDE and LightDM to Gnome and GDM on a Lubuntu install. Unfortunately, even after installing Gnome, these startup/launcher files do not exist and I can't seem to get them right. If this doesn't work, I will downoad a 12.04 iso and do a fresh install. Does the 12.04 Live CD give you the option to install Gnome in place of Unity?

----- EDIT -----

BTW, does 12.04 use GDM or LightDM by default?

----- EDIT -----

Oh, I just found the package ubuntu-desktop. I think that is what I was supposed to install. I will let you know if it works.

----- EDIT -----

After installing ubuntu-desktop I still needed to add gnome-panel to the startup applications list. Now I can login to Gnome but there are still some issues. gnome-panel doesn't seem to take on the system theme and right-click does not work on it.

----- EDIT -----

gnome-panel is taking on the system theme, I changed it to Ambiance and now it looks normal. But I still can't use right-click.

----- SOLVED (right-click) -----

Found the answer here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852764). I guess with the new gnome-panel you have to hold down Alt while right-clicking. This is my first time using Gnome Shell.

hictio
June 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
~snip~
Does the 12.04 Live CD give you the option to install Gnome in place of Unity?
~snip~

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't.
Take a look at this project: Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix (http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.net/p/home/)

It is basically a Precise Pangolin installed (live CD) that leaves aside Unity and installs Gnome 3 as the default DE, also installs the Classic Gnome.
I've been testing it for little over a week, and I'm really considering wiping my boxes and re-install using that one.

dodle
June 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks, I did end up installing the GNOME Shell Remix. But, I was having some similar issues with logging in. It turned out that I needed to use Classing GNOME in the login manager, most likely do to the old hardware I am using. Also, right-clicking on the desktop isn't working and there are a few packages that I would expect to be in a GNOME environment that don't come pre-installed such as gdebi and synaptic. So, at the moment I am installing the package gnome-desktop-environment which installs these packages and more and hopefully fixes the right-click issue.

----- 1,000 BEANS!!! -----