PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Want to change desktop background

Jon Anderson
June 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM
I must be doing something wrong,I go to change desktop background ,I go my picture folder, I pick the picture I want ,I left click it, it appears in the little screen to the left but then there is no way to implement it (apply) it and when I go to my screen there is no change in my desktop. Am I missing something.

dniMretsaM
June 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
You need to right click on the desktop and select Change Desktop Background. Then you can select your picture for there.

Jon Anderson
June 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM
You need to right click on the desktop and select Change Desktop Background. Then you can select your picture for there.
I do, it gives me the change desktop back round ap but it won't work. shouldn't there be a apply button or something.

dniMretsaM
June 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
I do, it gives me the change desktop back round ap but it won't work. shouldn't there be a apply button or something.

Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

Jon Anderson
June 2nd, 2012, 12:33 AM
Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing? Here it is

dniMretsaM
June 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Here it is

It's not there.

VE6EFR
June 2nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
Try opening up the image you want to use in Image Viewer. Then right click on the image and click on "set as desktop background".

JohnH
June 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm having a similar problem too. I can get the background I want by right clicking on a pic but the Appearance windows drop down menu doesn't work as (I think) it should for me.

I select Pictures Folder from the drop down menu and add my pics to the box below. The pictures remain there while the GUI is active and but as soon as I close it, they are gone from the Picture Folder box.This means I cannot go back to the Picture Folder box and select another background.

Regards
John

Jon Anderson
June 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Try opening up the image you want to use in Image Viewer. Then right click on the image and click on "set as desktop background".
No ,same problem but thanks

Frogs Hair
June 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Try restarting Nautilus and then try set as background again. Pay attention if errors are displayed when the command is run.
nautilus -q

Jon Anderson
June 3rd, 2012, 04:50 AM
Try restarting Nautilus and then try set as background again. Pay attention if errors are displayed when the command is run.
nautilus -q
I tried what you said, lost everything on my desktop and it still won't work. How do I start nautilus again.

Jon Anderson
June 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM
I also just typed in Nautilus and when I right or left click on the desktop I get nothing , I also lost everything on my desktop