PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] virtualbox, 32-bit ubuntu, running on host ubuntu of 64-bit

anewguy
May 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM
I am currently running 64-bit ubuntu. If I create a virtual machine (I'm already using virtualbox for a Windows vm) and load 32-bit ubuntu in it, will programs compiled and run in the vm really be using 32-bit calls, etc.? I assume yes.

I have a theory about another problem I'm having and the fastest way I can see to try to prove or disprove it is to compile and run on a 32-bit system.

Should work, no?

Thanks in advance!

Dave ;)

wildmanne39
June 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Hi anewguy, yes it will be a 32 bit ubuntu.

anewguy
June 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks wildmanne39 - hope things are going great with you!

Dave ;)

wildmanne39
June 1st, 2012, 04:52 AM
Hi, your welcome! and they are thanks.

Come join us on IRC it is in my signature.

anewguy
June 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hi, your welcome! and they are thanks.

Come join us on IRC it is in my signature.

I would, and I appreciate the offer, but I'm requesting to be dropped as an Ubuntu Member and plan on just being a light user, not asking questions or attempting to answer anymore. I'm just too dang stupid for this and there's no use trying to kid myself. All the work I did 30 years ago and the knowledge I had then is gone, and it's more than a little frustrating to be a beginner at everything again. It's gotten to frustrating, and I'm not able to answer people's questions - notice how I have referred people to you because you are an expert!

I hope to talk to you again soon!

have a good one!

Dave ;)

wildmanne39
June 1st, 2012, 05:14 AM
Hi, I am sadden to hear that, but the ubuntu IRC channel in my signature is for every one to talk and relax and have fun, it is not a support channel.

anewguy
June 1st, 2012, 07:04 AM
BTW - the crap-heads over on the programming forum who said I was full of crap for saying it's a difference between 64-bit and 32-bit OS's can eat their words. I put 32-bit 12.04 in a VM, loaded the program and the tracing program valgrind, and guess what - a totally different set of error messages. So I'm not as full of **** as they think. So even though it's been so long so I don't remember (much of) anything, they obviously haven't done systems programming or they would have known to check this.