PDA

View Full Version : Which file explorer do you prefer?

lao_V
March 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Without turning this one into a KDE vs GNOME war, I would like to know which file explorer do you prefer? Konqueror or Nautilus?

ssam
March 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM
out of those two i'd say nautilus, beacuse i dont think a file browser should also be a webbrowser.

but, i like the column view in mac os x finder, and i like rox for its speed.

fng
March 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM
none of both.

I prefer a Total Commander GUI explorer. MC comes closes, but there is no GTK version :(

lao_V
March 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I prefer a Total Commander GUI explorer. MC comes closes, but there is no GTK version :(

Do you have any screenshots?

fng
March 14th, 2005, 06:07 PM
http://www.ghisler.com/picture.htm

webby : http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

jeremy
March 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM
fng,
Have you tried Gnome Commander (gtk)? I think you will like it.

kassetra
March 14th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Without turning this one into a KDE vs GNOME war, I would like to know which file explorer do you prefer? Konqueror or Nautilus?

LOL, I think if I completely had my way, maybe neither. Although, given the option between the two, Nautilus is the only one for me.

I love the way I can customize Nautilus' views, adding emblems, backgrounds, etc. And if anyone takes a look at my screenshots, you'll see, I go crazy with emblems... Now if only I could offset all of nautilus' handy visual features onto my gpu... And then there are these layout bugs that drive me crazy... But all in all, I have to say I really like a lot of the visual features of nautilus - in explorer mode, that is.

Konqueror.. uhhh... not my style at all.

jdodson
March 14th, 2005, 07:21 PM
nautilus works good for me. i guess i am not too picky really. then again it seems naultilus does a better job at thumbnailing things than xp does. i really think the video thumbnailing is cool.

`Mrk
March 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Nautilus, because it's much more lighter and I have a quite slow computer. Works for me.

shimon
March 14th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Nautilus, because it's much more lighter and I have a quite slow computer. Works for me.
Mr N need some work with sftp still :D but i use gnome-terminal

Spark*
March 14th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Heh, in light of the history of Nautilus, this is an amusing quote. :)

For me, Nautilus is the first file manager (not explorer! manager!) that I actually use. Sure, many years ago I used explorer on Windows because I had no choice, but other than that I have mostly used a terminal, simply because explorer-like file managers totally suck IMO. Spatial is the only mode that makes sense to me for daily work (i.e., it's better than a terminal), and in the rare cases I need a navigator, Nautilus file browser fits me well. I also enjoy the clean and simple interface and focus on things that actually matter (like good thumbnailing). Network transparency could be better of course, but it's getting there!

az
March 14th, 2005, 10:09 PM
rox-filer

xfe

The former has some funky appdir philosophy. The latter is really nice. It just can not make a desktop for you like rox can with it's pinboard.

jazzorist
March 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM
none of both.

Tux Commander is GTK2 and as the author says: "Some functions are (or will be) inspired by famous Total Commander."

http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/

jwb
March 14th, 2005, 10:37 PM
My prefered file manager is Pepe, a guy who works here in my office. He files stuff away real quick, and always closes the bottom file drawer so I don't bang my shins on it. He also puts on those little colored tabs, and writes in real neat handwriting, and makes sure that all the edges of the papers are tucked neatly inside the manilla folder.

CowPie
March 14th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Azutally, I hate htem both! Windows explorer is hte best ;P

fng
March 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Tux Commander is GTK2 and as the author says: "Some functions are (or will be) inspired by famous Total Commander."

nice!
thnx for the info

Buffalo Soldier
March 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Definitely Nautilus.

Zundfolge
March 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM
...but, i like the column view in mac os x finder...

Same here ... I wish I could find a finder-like file browser for Linux ... I found one for Windows called Nexplorer and I use it on my windows machine at work.

To be honest the only file browser I even like is the OSX Finder ... everything else is clumsy to me.

landotter
March 15th, 2005, 08:23 PM
It's kind of a trick question.

For accessing my folders and files and seeing what's there I like nautilus a lot, especially spatial nautilus.

For a gui powerful file manager, I think Konqueror just hammers Nautilus. Konqui with split panes and a term emulator at the bottom is killer!

But for day to day accessing of files--as you said "exploring" vs. "file managing" then Nautilus wins hands down. Konqi's messy configuration of mime-types is a horrorshow--click on a video and depending on whether Konqui's in web browser or file management mode or something else--it might open embedded or in Kaboodle or you might not even get the video to open--it might just open a Konqui help page.

The first program I install with a new linux install is emelfm. It's a simple two pane file manager like all the commander clones. It allows me to quickly move stuff around and change permissions en masse w/o having to remember cryptic commands.

http://emelfm.sourceforge.net/

mseney
March 15th, 2005, 08:37 PM
My example why I love Nautilus.

Last night I was moving some files around and noticed a image file that wasn't displaying the thumbnail but displayed png on it's icon. I looked at the file extention and it said .jpg. Aha I quickly changed the extension to .png and it then displayed the thumbnail of the wallpaper. What a awesome function that it can basically tell you when you have mis-named a file type. Awesome Job Gnome!!!

~Mike

bored2k
March 15th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Nautilus.

HungSquirrel
March 16th, 2005, 04:59 AM
I use Nautilus with the location bar dealie at the top. As others have mentioned, I only really use it to navigate directories and change permissions, etc.

Shame the guy couldn't have picked a language other than Pascal to write it in. It has been a royal PIA to try to get it to compile because of the obscure dependencies, which of course don't have DEBs.

kagou
March 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Nautilus of course =;

Jeconais
March 18th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I keep trying file explorers, but in the end, I keep coming back to good ol' mkdir, chmod, chown, mv, cp, rm, lftp etc.

About the only thing I do use, is Nautilus for broswing shares...

landotter
March 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I use Nautilus with the location bar dealie at the top. As others have mentioned, I only really use it to navigate directories and change permissions, etc.

Shame the guy couldn't have picked a language other than Pascal to write it in. It has been a royal PIA to try to get it to compile because of the obscure dependencies, which of course don't have DEBs.

Tried just installing an rpm with alien? ;)
EDIT: you can just d/l a binary executable tarball--did you try that?

I've used it, and appreciate how it's nice and pretty with the gtk2 and all, but prefer emelfm as I think the layout is easier to get along with. Probably just a matter of me being used to it. :P

defkewl
March 18th, 2005, 06:21 PM
It's like saying:
KDE or GNOME

What does this thread differ from http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20697 ?

HungSquirrel
March 18th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Tried just installing an rpm with alien? ;)
EDIT: you can just d/l a binary executable tarball--did you try that?

I've used it, and appreciate how it's nice and pretty with the gtk2 and all, but prefer emelfm as I think the layout is easier to get along with. Probably just a matter of me being used to it. :P
Call me blind as a bat, but I didn't notice the binaries when I downloaded the source (probably because I have my mind trained to ignore binaries as I always assume they will be RPMs with crazy deps). Thanks a bunch!

CowPie
March 21st, 2005, 01:10 AM
I think the future is probably wiht Konqueror, it is very nice witht he included gwenview program to browse pictures with, and you can browse zip files easily, which I wanted with Nautilus. As I use it more I like it more :) If you add all the things you want to the "services" sidebar, it can even look like nautilus.

jerome bettis
March 21st, 2005, 02:31 AM
i like nautilus a lot and i use it everyday, but i had to vote for konqueror just because it has that tree list view feature i like so much. if nautilus had that it would be no contest.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM
nautilus minus spatial is my favorite.

I can't believe the Gnome guys made such a pretty GUI file manager then they just cut out the good parts and shipped spatial as defualt.

bored2k
March 21st, 2005, 08:13 AM
nautilus minus spatial is my favorite.

I can't believe the Gnome guys made such a pretty GUI file manager then they just cut out the good parts and shipped spatial as defualt.
Spatial is one of the most annoying features I have seen ever . No matter how many times I try to use it/understand I just can't stand it . If they would not have included a way to go back to old nautilus, I would probably be on Kubuntu right now.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Spatial is one of the most annoying features I have seen ever . No matter how many times I try to use it/understand I just can't stand it . If they would not have included a way to go back to old nautilus, I would probably be on Kubuntu right now.

I would use rox.

bored2k
March 21st, 2005, 08:34 AM
I would use rox.
I actually use rox, specially since I started using xfce a couple of weeks ago, but I tested the latest konqueror today and it is really good.

landotter
March 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM
I think the future is probably wiht Konqueror, it is very nice witht he included gwenview program to browse pictures with, and you can browse zip files easily, which I wanted with Nautilus. As I use it more I like it more :) If you add all the things you want to the "services" sidebar, it can even look like nautilus.
it can if you use nautilus in browser mode--I'm not going to get into how to disable spatial, but try this: create a launcher on the desktop or just type into a console "nautilus --browser". if you don't see a side bar with tree view, press f9.

:D

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 09:04 AM
it can if you use nautilus in browser mode--I'm not going to get into how to disable spatial, but try this: create a launcher on the desktop or just type into a console "nautilus --browser". if you don't see a side bar with tree view, press f9.

:D

Kill spatial with one command:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true