PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Bleachbit as root?

pelerin21
May 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hi,

Bleachbit cleans million files from my Ubuntu :popcorn: I am not sure if it is safe... Is there anyone who uses Bleachibt as root?

scouser73
May 31st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Bleachbit cleans million files from my Ubuntu :popcorn: I am not sure if it is safe... Is there anyone who uses Bleachibt as root?

I do, works perfectly fine.

weasel fierce
May 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM
I thought it had to run as root. In any event, it's quite safe...if you know what you are doing :)

I'd exercise at least a bit of caution

deadflowr
May 31st, 2012, 08:06 PM
I thought it had to run as root. In any event, it's quite safe...if you know what you are doing :)

I'd exercise at least a bit of caution

Well there are two versions you get, root and a non-root version.
the non-root version lets you delete user files, like your firefox cache and history, where the root version lets you delete system files. (I call it version because I don't know what you'd call a program that is the same thing that can be accessed in different ways.)

That being said, I've used both ways, though I typically don't run as root; I've never run into problems in root, It's just most of the files I want to clear out are user files. Therefore, running as root is unnecessary.

weasel fierce
May 31st, 2012, 08:10 PM
aha, thank you for the clarification.

Dngrsone
May 31st, 2012, 10:41 PM
I also use it as root-- my machine tends to clog up with excess logs when I am messing around with mysql stuff... http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/argh.gif

traditionalist
May 31st, 2012, 11:14 PM
Yes. Works very well. never had a problem with it.

ojdon
May 31st, 2012, 11:24 PM
Depends what you use your system for.

If it's for everyday computing. You will fine. Bleachbit will alert you if you have selected anything dangerous.

wilee-nilee
May 31st, 2012, 11:26 PM
Both root and non-root in linux and windows here, excellent cleaner, use with caution, it will remove passwords if clicked to do so.

weasel fierce
June 1st, 2012, 03:06 AM
yeah, its a great little tool. Just make sure to read what you're clicking on :)

zer010
June 1st, 2012, 05:00 AM
yup, gotta like bleachbit, cleans and frees up that precious space...

dev is also quite helpful...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9909252&postcount=13