PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu (Hoary) vs SimplyMEPIS (3.3)

lao_V
March 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
The other day I decided to give SimplyMEPIS 3.3 a try initially attracted by live cd/installation concept on 1 CD.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to boot up from Live CD and then clicking on the 'Install Me' icon on the desktop and watch the system being installed on my PC in 15mins with all the apps I could ever want!!!

I hope (K)Ubuntu could be like that cuz I simply love the forums and documentation along with the philosophy of Ubuntu!

Xian
March 14th, 2005, 06:32 PM
These "vs" threads really get on my nerves, but in any case it certainly is unreasonable to expect that ANY justifiable comparison can be made between a stable version of Mepis release which has undergone lengthy development, and one that is in preview state such as Hoary. Besides which, I'm glad that there are a variety of distros which have alternative methods of booting and installing to HD, but this absolutely doesn't mean that any single procedure should become a criteria that is then used as a yardstick against other's preferences and developmental goals.

defkewl
March 15th, 2005, 04:26 AM
These "vs" threads really get on my nerves, but in any case it certainly is unreasonable to expect that ANY justifiable comparison can be made between a stable version of Mepis release which has undergone lengthy development, and one that is in preview state such as Hoary. Besides which, I'm glad that there are a variety of distros which have alternative methods of booting and installing to HD, but this absolutely doesn't mean that any single procedure should become a criteria that is then used as a yardstick against other's preferences and developmental goals.
Absolutely agree with you dude. If you don't like what Ubuntu has to offer, use other distro.

bored2k
March 15th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Absolutely agree with you dude. If you don't like what Ubuntu has to offer, use other distro.
One of the reasons why I love Linux so much, the ability to choose. And the fact that they dont really have to compete with each other , each one having a special "ingredient" to spice things up in a different way.

For some livedisc/installer is "it" [and dont get me wrong, i Love that], but Ubuntu's .deb+Gnome+their ideals won me over.

Buffalo Soldier
March 15th, 2005, 05:01 AM
You've said everything I wanted to say. :)

dermotti
March 15th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Mepis is great out of the box as is, if everything works properly. Problem is, if you do have a problem, mepis community is very small and your chances of getting it resolved are very slim.

Ubuntu's community is HUGE. There is no problem i have not got resolved via these message boards.

I used mepis all teh way to 3.3, i actually was using Ubuntus boards to help fix my problems. Finally i switched to kUbuntu and i will never go back (well unless mepis community matches ubuntu's). Heres a list of some pros and cons off the top of my head.

Mepis Pros
Had smb4k installed
Had a network config util for kde
It was way easy to reinstall (15 mins)
Has a polished KDE interface.

Mepis Cons
Small Community, little support.
Uses Xfree86
Slow to update

kUbuntu Pros
Uses Xorg
More, faster updates
HUGE communty, awesome support.
Default kde interface (30 mins to polish like mepis).

kUbuntu Cons
No smb4k preinstalled (apt-get resolved)
No KDE network config util (apt-get resolved)
Takes over 45 mins to install with updates.

Buffalo Soldier
March 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Mepis Pros
It was way easy to reinstall (15 mins)

kUbuntu Cons
Takes over 45 mins to install with updates.

Just out of curiosity:

How long does it take to install Mepis Pro with updates?
How long does it take to install Kubuntu without updates?

I guess it's only fair to compare both on the same grounds. It's either both with updates or both without updates.

lao_V
March 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM
The goal of any distro, or software, is to evolve and make things easier for their user. It is entirely fair to say that if you don't like one then use another. However, if everyone developed that attitude then no one will provide any feedback whatsoever and then the development process will be entirely in the hands of the people who sponsor the distro. I was under the impression that Linux was all about community?

In regards to the stable vs development argument, I don't believe that it is valid. At this stage Hoary is in Preview release stage. This means that no more features will be added before the final release. It is not stable, but it is not in development either! And making comparison to any other stable release is perfectly valid as those comparisons were made against the features and not stability!

As I've mentioned previously, I like what Ubuntu has to offer in terms of documentation, support and community. And those are the exact features which are lacking from Mepis. So, I don't believe we should be competing with other distros either but rather we should be learning from each other.

The point I was trying to make is that there are few features I think would be greatly received by the people that should be considered for the next version of Ubuntu. Mepis was simply an example of one such distro that provided those.

One quote comes to mind which was mentioned by someone in one of the Patents issues article:

"If we both have one apple and we share it, we will still have one apple each. But, if we both have an idea and we share it, we will have two!"

Tichondrius
March 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Your apple will go bad if you don't eat, and when you do eat it, you'll have to split it, so each person will have only half the apple on average. But an apple contains the seeds for a new apple tree.

lao_V
March 15th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Your apple will go bad if you don't eat, and when you do eat it, you'll have to split it, so each person will have only half the apple on average. But an apple contains the seeds for a new apple tree.

I have no idea what that means or even if its of any relevance? :confused:

wbeck85
March 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Wait a second? do you have to pay for mepis? i was over at their site and they were charging 10 bucks to download. Can i get it free?

lao_V
March 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM
There might be a charge for Mepis Pro/CDs but you can download Mepis 3.3 for free.