PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm looking for a specific kind of hardware

brunion1
May 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, I'll cut straight to it:

I've been wanting to build a kind of media center desktop for use with my HDTV for a while now. My plan was to find a small desktop with HDMI out, a decent hard drive, and a wireless card, then install Ubuntu and use it to consume media on my TV(Maybe develop an Android app to facilitate that if there's not one I like). I'm thinking I need something similar to a Mac Mini, but I honestly can't find any hardware that seems to fit that description. Can you guys think of something I could use? Thanks for any help you may have!

Additional info: Senior IS major, played with Ubuntu/Linux Mint. Dabbled in Android dev. I'd be willing to build the PC if I needed to, but I'm definitely not a hardware guy.

chocklet
May 31st, 2012, 09:18 PM
You might check out the Zareason 5330 with an Apex MI-008 case.

This case, as many small cases, has an issue with heat if you when used with processors such as the I3. Newegg and Amazon reviews contain lots of info and tips. As recommended by some others, I replaced the stock internal PSU with a PicoPSU (mostly external).

The PicoPSU, having no fan, is absolutely silent. But the biggest advantage is improved air flow that keeps the CPU from getting hot. My stock I3 fan is quiet unless it gets revved up.

brunion1
June 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
You might check out the Zareason 5330 with an Apex MI-008 case.

This case, as many small cases, has an issue with heat if you when used with processors such as the I3. Newegg and Amazon reviews contain lots of info and tips. As recommended by some others, I replaced the stock internal PSU with a PicoPSU (mostly external).

The PicoPSU, having no fan, is absolutely silent. But the biggest advantage is improved air flow that keeps the CPU from getting hot. My stock I3 fan is quiet unless it gets revved up.

Thanks for the reply! For anybody that's doing the same thing, I ended up buying the Zotac Zbox. It pretty much does everything you need in a small package.