PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No windows whatsoever after compiz reset

shashanksingh
May 31st, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hi. I have always had a few issues with compiz.

Currently using 12.04.
This time I was trying to use the application switcher, and it asked me to resolve a few conflicts most of which were not easy to comprehend.

So after some yes and no dialogue boxes leading me nowhere, I thought a reset should set things fine.

However, after preferences->reset to default, I can't see any window!! NONE whatsoever except the log out one when I press ctrl+alt+del

All I can see is the wallpaper. :(
I am posting this when I switch to ubuntu 2d (I dn't know how it works here, or what's the difference between the two)

Also, these terms arn't very clear to me as to what exactly is the Xserver, gnome, compiz, unity, metacity.. Is there some place where a not so technically well versed guy can understand these terms and their relations...

I think it would be a lot helpful to new Ubuntu users to understand the GUI as it is the area of many problems.

wilee-nilee
May 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Compiz often needs a restart to implement changes, alt-f2, or the terminal compiz --replace.

You can reset unity as well same keys unity --reset

shashanksingh
May 31st, 2012, 04:43 PM
The problem is I can't get any window. Not even the terminal. I tried the replace command in ubuntu 2d session (my current one).

And it said initializing opengl something and got stuck there..
Reboot.

Went to tty1 and tried. But I guess it didnt have any compiz session associated with that.