PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmbox 0.9.5 is here!

SlugO
June 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
So Rhythmbox 0.9.5 is finally out. As usual it has several bug fixes and new features
but my favorite feature is the long overdue support for displaying album art :D
Changelog is here (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/0.9/rhythmbox-0.9.5.news) and you can download the source here (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/0.9/rhythmbox-0.9.5.tar.bz2).

Could someone make a .deb? I made one for myself with checkinstall but I don't think it's good enough to share, couldn't enable all the things...

mostwanted
June 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I was wondering, when are they going to change the layout into something better? I think gigantic progress bar needs to go, it takes way too much space on my small CRT screen.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I'll build a debian package. Just give me a few seconds.

Edit: There are tons of dependency problems with this package. I can solve most but here is when stuff goes wrong and I can't fix it.

checking for RHYTHMBOX... configure: error: Package requirements ( gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6.0 libgnomeui-2.0 libglade-2.0 gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.7. gnome-vfs-module-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
No package 'libglade-2.0' found

djmdave
June 18th, 2006, 08:27 PM
* allow ipod renaming, ejection, deletion and transfer (Christophe Fergeau)
Is that transfer to and from ipods like banshee can do, or just copying from the ipod?

kanem
June 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Is that transfer to and from ipods like banshee can do, or just copying from the ipod?Excerpts from the development list:

On behalf of the Rhythmbox developers, I'm proud to announce the sixth
release of the Rhythmbox 0.9 series...

Notable new features include:
- Partial iPod write support [1]
[1] off by default, pass --enable-ipod-writing to enable.

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, thanks for da link. Trying to compile it, however it stops here:

checking for TOTEM_PLPARSER... configure: error: totem playlist parsing library not found or too old

pertti
June 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Have you installed the build dependencies first? If not sure, try:

sudo apt-get build-dep rhythmbox

I have compiled it successfully, but without album art support. It seems that album art is implemented through a python plugin. By default, rhythmbox isn't configured with python support, but when I try to enable it I get this error:

./configure --enable-python
checking whether we can build a shared library depending on libpython... no
configure: error: Python support explicity requested, but not found

Am I missing any package? There are couple of packages called libpythonize (which are KDE-related), but no libpython.

Thanks in advance!

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2006, 11:04 PM
10x for the suggestion. Downloading and installing as I type.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Rythmbox 9.5 fresh from the compilier. (www.megaupload.com/?d=PPF6MJEP)

artelsj
June 19th, 2006, 01:48 AM
The .deb installed wonderfully. What do I have to do next to get the art display plugin working? (Thanks).

gamma
June 19th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I stopped using Rhythmbox because they broke the interface. Why is there tons of whitespace between the nativation buttons when the gigantic progress bar could fit nicely in that space and save some space. Kind of like there isn't a need for 2 panels for the default gnome desktop, but anyways :P.

Use banshee...

Johnsie
June 19th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I just checked out Rythmbox 0.9.5 and banshee. I think RB has a better GUI and is easier to organizer your music but I like that banshee has a record to cd function.

Oh well... I'm yet to find the perfect media player for Ubuntu.. Amarok was pretty close but then they went and changed the whole GUI.

There's things I like about all of them but I want one that has all the feaures in one, looks good and is good at sorting music out properly.

kpolice
June 19th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Rythmbox 9.5 fresh from the compilier. (www.megaupload.com/?d=PPF6MJEP)

Could you upload it anywhere else like rapidshare?? I cant download anything from megaupload :S

Johnsie
June 19th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I'll upload it to http://steeky.com/downloads

Johnsie
June 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
uhhh... sorry I took so long to mirror that... Had a bit of a domestic lol :-)

cbudden
June 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Here is a package I made. http://cbudden.sitesled.com/rhythmbox_0.9.5-1_i386.deb

Lord Illidan
June 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
All said and done, it still does not compare to Amarok.

Johnsie
June 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking that too Lord... I wish amrok had cd burning though... video would be nice too but I don't think that's one of their goals.

Johnsie
June 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Oops I just realised Amarok does have burning.... Nice :-)

zeus77
June 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Several people above have encountered problems compiling the latest Rhythmbox. These problems are all related to the fact that you don't have the correct "dev" packages installed. Here's a quick howto to compile/install your very own copy of the latest Rhythmbox...

1. Download latest source code from the Rhythmbox site (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/). Get the .tar.gz version, and put it on the desktop. Right click on the .tar.gz file on the desktop, and select "Extract Here".

2. If you don't already have build-essential and checkinstall, go to a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall

3. Rhythmbox relies on the presence of a bunch of dev packages to compile with all the features. The following will do the trick (on a virgin Dapper-i386 install, this totals 77 packages including dependencies, taking 59 MB):

sudo apt-get install libxml-parser-perl libgtk2.0-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnomeui-dev libtotem-plparser-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libnautilus-burn-dev libmusicbrainz4-dev libnotify-dev python2.4-dev python-gtk2-dev libsoup2.2-dev libgpod-dev check

4. Then, to compile and install, do this at the terminal

cd ~/Desktop/rhythmbox-0.9.5
./configure
make
sudo checkinstall

5. Now, you can trash the stuff on the desktop (the .tar.gz file and the directory) if you want. You're done! Give it a try.

Gustav
June 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I would recommend using 'sudo checkinstall' instead of 'sudo make install'.

It creates a deb package that once it's installed can easely be removed with synaptic or apt-get. (The 'make install' way forces you to remove files manually if you want to remove the program)

zeus77
June 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I would recommend using 'sudo checkinstall' instead of 'sudo make install'.

Thanks, I changed it above.

arguy337
June 19th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Hey, I'm getting this error while downloading those libraries:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgnomevfs2-dev: Depends: libavahi-client-dev but it is not going to be installed or
hurd but it is not installable
Depends: libdbus-1-dev but it is not going to be installed or
hurd but it is not installable
libnautilus-burn-dev: Depends: libhal-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdbus-glib-1-dev but it is not going to be installed
libnotify-dev: Depends: libdbus-glib-1-dev (>= 0.23) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

What can I do to fix this?

amoore
June 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Im new to Rythm box and I've just installed the rhythmbox-0.9.5_0.9.5-1_i386.deb listed here in this board because, I wanted to get the album art to show on my mp3s. My mp3s were incoded in iTunes and have the album art attached to the id tags but I can figure out how to get album art to show in Rythm box or how to activate this feature in Rythm box. My album art does show up in Banshee but Rythm box just feels more snapy. Any sugestions?

artelsj
June 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM
After compiling Rhythmbox myself, with --enable-python, I could enable the album art plugin in Rhythmbox... Album art is displayed in the same spot as in iTunes.

3saul
June 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Does anybody have a .deb that has ipod writing and tag editing enabled?

arguy337
June 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Nice, finally got it working by downgrading those files and compiling.
It's not my favorite player but it works fast and "snappy".

pertti
June 20th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Im new to Rythm box and I've just installed the rhythmbox-0.9.5_0.9.5-1_i386.deb listed here in this board because, I wanted to get the album art to show on my mp3s. My mp3s were incoded in iTunes and have the album art attached to the id tags but I can figure out how to get album art to show in Rythm box or how to activate this feature in Rythm box. My album art does show up in Banshee but Rythm box just feels more snapy. Any sugestions?

This happens to me also. I haven't done any Python ever, but after skimming through the plugin source code it seems that it searches and retrieves covers from Amazon, but it doesn't look for images encoded in the file tags. Images fetched from Amazon go to ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/covers.

Maybe this will improve in the next version, maybe it's time to learn some Python :).

zachtib
June 20th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Does anybody have a .deb that has ipod writing and tag editing enabled?

ya, just gimme somewhere to put it

mlind
June 21st, 2006, 04:37 AM
I made a little tut about compiling RB 0.9.5 and new music-applet for it.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200762

maubp
June 22nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks zeus77, those instructions worked great for me :)

amoore
June 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
The how to worked great I also added --enable-python --with-dapp during ./configer

Does anyone know who to get or enable bule remote for Rhythmbox?

Blue remote is a bluetooth remote for Rhythm box. The link for it is dead for it on the Rhythmbox web page. Any sugestions?

| MM |
June 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM
Hi,

Using mikes package (http://www.mikesplanet.net/?p=37) I'm getting some dependency errors.

(Reading database ... 79204 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace rhythmbox 0.9.4.1-0ubuntu1 (using rhythmbox_0.9.5-1~dapper1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement rhythmbox ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of rhythmbox:
rhythmbox depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.3); however:
Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.12.2-0ubuntu3.
rhythmbox depends on libsoup2.2-8 (>= 2.2.93); however:
Version of libsoup2.2-8 on system is 2.2.92-0ubuntu1.
dpkg: error processing rhythmbox (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
rhythmbox

Where do i get these updates?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Hi,

Using mikes package (http://www.mikesplanet.net/?p=37) I'm getting some dependency errors.

(Reading database ... 79204 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace rhythmbox 0.9.4.1-0ubuntu1 (using rhythmbox_0.9.5-1~dapper1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement rhythmbox ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of rhythmbox:
rhythmbox depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.3); however:
Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.12.2-0ubuntu3.
rhythmbox depends on libsoup2.2-8 (>= 2.2.93); however:
Version of libsoup2.2-8 on system is 2.2.92-0ubuntu1.
dpkg: error processing rhythmbox (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
rhythmbox

Where do i get these updates?
In terminal:

sudo apt-get build-dep rythmbox

| MM |
June 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM
matthew@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get build-dep rythmbox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for rythmbox
matthew@ubuntu:~$

:S
Should this be doable from the Dapper Repo's ... or do i have to another repo ... ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 23rd, 2006, 02:15 AM

Should this be doable from the Dapper Repo's ... or do i have to another repo ... ?
Do you have the multiverse and universe repositories enabled ? See the "Extra repositories for Breezy/Dapper" in my signature or auto generate a sources.list here. (http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic)

mlind
June 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM

yup, but it's rhythmbox

| MM |
June 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM
oops :P

doclivingston
June 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Anyone who wants a .deb of the latest Rhythmbox, with all the options enabled, and even more ipod support might want to look at http://cipherfunk.org/diary/archives/monthly/2006-06.html#e2006-06-23T11_07_59.htm

Paul Drain has compiled .debs (ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/random_cruft/rhythmbox-with-ipod-support-for-dapper/) for Dapper with the extended ipod support patch, which hasn't landed in cvs yet. It supports transcoding, editing playlists on the ipod and a few other things, but doesn't have "automatic sync" yet.

For people without an ipod, they are just good quality debs with all the options. For people with an iPod it has even better iPod support, but be warned there may be bugs that eat the tracks on your iPods (we haven't had any reported so far, but you never know).

If you do try his debs with your iPod, leaving a comment on Gnome bug 310774 (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310774) would be much appreciated, whether any problems you had or just a "works for me".

SlugO
June 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the link doc, the .deb from that site works great :D

rbrugman
June 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Another vote for Amarok here. Only thing I wish it had (that should be working after the Google Summer of Code) ends is DAAP support so I can listen to the music on my server. As far as an audio player though, Amarok kicks all ***

SlugO
June 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I wonder why Rhythmbox 0.9.5 doesn't seem to be updating my music
collection automatically even though it's checked in the options... :-k
It worked fine with 0.9.4.

tool462rules
June 29th, 2006, 03:29 AM
i used one of the packages, the one that says xx owned xx in the deb.
CD playing is not supported and tries to play all the songs and fails, anyone give me any help, or it's back to 0.9.3...

mlind
June 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
i used one of the packages, the one that says xx owned xx in the deb.
CD playing is not supported and tries to play all the songs and fails, anyone give me any help, or it's back to 0.9.3...

Get it from edgy repository or build it yourself using this guide (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200762)

humansuit
June 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I wonder why Rhythmbox 0.9.5 doesn't seem to be updating my music
collection automatically even though it's checked in the options... :-k
It worked fine with 0.9.4.

Yeah, same problem here. Not nice.

leeyee
July 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I'm wondering when will the repos involve rhythmbox 0.9.5? Looking forward it....

bruce89
July 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'm wondering when will the repos involve rhythmbox 0.9.5? Looking forward it....
https://launchpad.net/products/dapper-backports/+bug/50477

afon
August 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks for deb package ;)

psyeye
August 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Hi!

Paul Drain has compiled .debs (ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/random_cruft/rhythmbox-with-ipod-support-for-dapper/) for Dapper with the extended ipod support patch, which hasn't landed in cvs yet. It supports transcoding, editing playlists on the ipod and a few other things, but doesn't have "automatic sync" yet.

Whenever I copy files to my iPod Shuffle with this version of Rhythmbox, the files are copied, I can play them from within Rhythmbox - but not with my Shuffle. :confused:

Anybody experienced that? Or does anybody know how to init my iPod so it works?

thanks for any hint!
psyeye

idn
August 21st, 2006, 12:23 AM
I am getting an error when I try to 'make' the source code

link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libXrender.la' or unhandled argument `/usr/lib/libXrender.la'

I have installed all the dependancies

mlind
August 21st, 2006, 12:29 AM
I am getting an error when I try to 'make' the source code

link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libXrender.la' or unhandled argument `/usr/lib/libXrender.la'

I have installed all the dependancies

This is the third time I've seen this error reported, are you using Dapper or Edgy? That file doesn't exist for either distribution.
I've never seen that error myself. How did you configure rhythmbox? Have you tried running autogen.sh to generate new Makefiles ?

idn
August 21st, 2006, 01:54 AM
I am using dapper at the moment - if its X related maybe it has something to do with XGL or compiz. when I run autogen.sh I get the following error:

Checking for required M4 macros...
libtool.m4 not found
glib-gettext.m4 not found
intltool.m4 not found
pkg.m4 not found
gtk-doc.m4 not found
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build rhythmbox
were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
macros were found. Perhaps you need to adjust your
ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

mlind
August 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM
I am using dapper at the moment - if its X related maybe it has something to do with XGL or compiz. when I run autogen.sh I get the following error:

Checking for required M4 macros...
libtool.m4 not found
glib-gettext.m4 not found
intltool.m4 not found
pkg.m4 not found
gtk-doc.m4 not found
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build rhythmbox
were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
macros were found. Perhaps you need to adjust your
ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

Yeah, you're probably using some package as build dependency which is built against older libxrender-dev. Make sure you're not intalling build dependencies from any 3rd party repositories.
Is your libxrender-dev package 1:0.9.0.2-0ubuntu2 ?

(I'm guessing you have libcairo2 from 3rd party repository)

idn
August 21st, 2006, 02:34 AM
Yeah I have the same version of libxrender as you mentioned above and yes I am using cairo from another repo to get xgl up and running.

Fixed:

./configure --enable-python

That should get it working

idn
August 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM
Fixed!!!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238449. However I cant seem to get the playlist and cover art plugins to work - they are not listed in the plugins list when rb starts up

mlind
August 21st, 2006, 07:08 AM
Fixed!!!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238449. However I cant seem to get the playlist and cover art plugins to work - they are not listed in the plugins list when rb starts up

Yeah, that same libcairo2 issue seems to pop out frequently. I think you should just get the source package from edgy or debian and build that with your distribution. At least it should make plugins work normally.

SlugO
August 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Yay! The latest development version from some repo finally updates my collection automatically.

I have to say that I'm quite annoyed by how "lazy" the Last.fm plugin is. It usually puts atleast half a dozen songs to queue before it bothers to submit them. It doesn't even submit them when I close Rhythmbox, usually takes a couple of restarts to get them there. This is really annoying. I want the song to show up on the page the second it's past the 50% mark like in Windows. Having to wait for atleast half an hour is not good...

mlind
August 25th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Yay! The latest development version from some repo finally updates my collection automatically.

I have to say that I'm quite annoyed by how "lazy" the Last.fm plugin is. It usually puts atleast half a dozen songs to queue before it bothers to submit them. It doesn't even submit them when I close Rhythmbox, usually takes a couple of restarts to get them there. This is really annoying. I want the song to show up on the page the second it's past the 50% mark like in Windows. Having to wait for atleast half an hour is not good...

I haven't got this problem, except on rare occasions when last.fm server is down. I'm using a CVS build too.