PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having trouble dual booting windows/ubuntu

Rammstein55
May 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I recently installed the newest version of ubuntu alongside windows 7, I am having trouble accessing the dual boot screen, I try holding down shift or f12 during start up but it still boots directly to ubuntu. I look at the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and see:

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with LInux 3.2.0-23-generic --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux -class gnu --class os { recordfail
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'

as well as:

menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1E7CC12C7CC0FF8F
chainloader +1

I'm hesitant to edit the grub.cfg any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

deadflowr
May 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah, you should be hesistant to edit your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file as for the fact that any succeeding update to grub will revert it back to its intial configuration.
Instead, look at the file /etc/default/grub. or install start-up manager.
If /etc/default/grub seems non-sensical for you, just copy and paste it so we can look it over for any problems.
You might also want to do the same with your grub.cfg file.

wilee-nilee
May 30th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I recently installed the newest version of ubuntu alongside windows 7, I am having trouble accessing the dual boot screen, I try holding down shift or f12 during start up but it still boots directly to ubuntu. I look at the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and see:

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with LInux 3.2.0-23-generic --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux -class gnu --class os { recordfail
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos5)'

as well as:

menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1E7CC12C7CC0FF8F
chainloader +1

I'm hesitant to edit the grub.cfg any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Have you modified grub with a app, like the grub customizer?

Have you run in ubuntu?

sudo update-grubYou can give us a closer look at your setup by using the tool in the link, and running the bootinfo summary, post the url to it. Just run that part of the tool at this point.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

wilee-nilee
May 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah, you should be hesistant to edit your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file as for the fact that any succeeding update to grub will revert it back to its intial configuration.
Instead, look at the file /etc/default/grub. or install start-up manager.
If /etc/default/grub seems non-sensical for you, just copy and paste it so we can look it over for any problems.
You might also want to do the same with your grub.cfg file.

Startup manager is not been kept updated and will not move the boot with a kernel update. I think it still might work in lucid is all.