PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 upgrade from 11.x fails completely

Bazmundi
May 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I had previously installed 11.x on my acer laptop. Today when I logged in the system prompted me to upgrade.

The upgrade churned for sometime. When it got to the "Cleanup" the scrolling stopped and an insidious message was left on bottom "too many errors, processing stopped".

Install progress bar kept going regardless and it fell through to restart.

When system restarted the administrator login came up, interestingly, where I guess glyphs where supposed to be they were replaced by the nasty broken image icon.

I logged in and ...

Empty blue screen, no desktop, mouse scrolling brilliantly. The only means to exit was to hit off button to which system provided graceful exit prompt.

What am I doing to fix this? Re-installing from the windows side of my laptop?

All in all a major pee-off as you can imagine.

westie457
May 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I had previously installed 11.x on my acer laptop. Today when I logged in the system prompted me to upgrade.

The upgrade churned for sometime. When it got to the "Cleanup" the scrolling stopped and an insidious message was left on bottom "too many errors, processing stopped".

Install progress bar kept going regardless and it fell through to restart.

When system restarted the administrator login came up, interestingly, where I guess glyphs where supposed to be they were replaced by the nasty broken image icon.

I logged in and ...

Empty blue screen, no desktop, mouse scrolling brilliantly. The only means to exit was to hit off button to which system provided graceful exit prompt.

What am I doing to fix this? Re-installing from the windows side of my laptop?

All in all a major pee-off as you can imagine.

Boot as normal, at the Grub Menu choose recovery mode and in the next menu down-arrow to 'Fix Broken' or something similar, Press Enter. This should run through the upgrade fixing the errors.

Post back here with the news, good or bad.

ps Welcome to the Forum.

Bazmundi
May 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Boot as normal, at the Grub Menu choose recovery mode and in the next menu down-arrow to 'Fix Broken' or something similar, Press Enter. This should run through the upgrade fixing the errors.

Post back here with the news, good or bad.

ps Welcome to the Forum.

I installed Ubuntu using win doze installer. The only options I am getting during dual boot are windows, Ubuntu or memory check. The dual boot tool doesn't appear to be grub. The grub manual talks about a rescue mode but no menu options seem to get me there.

PS I the dual boot is Windows Boot Manager. I think it may be uninstall and reinstall.

Bazmundi
May 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Wow! Its getting better.

Ubuntu refuses to uninstall using Control Panel and wubi (freshly downloaded) refuses to run.

So, I can't fix/remove Ubuntu from my machine it appears.

I tried using msconfig as well but Ubuntu doesn't show up in the list.

Any ideas short of restating my machine from scratch?

ajgreeny
May 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Regrettably for you, the windows installer (wubi) was never meant to be used as a long term dual boot system, but more as a means to find out if ubuntu will work on your computer hardware.

I suggest you start again, but this time do a proper dual boot on a partitioned disk. get hold of the live CD which will check, once again, that your hardware is OK for ubuntu 12.04, then install from the live desktop. Backup all files first, which you may need to do by mounting the "disk" file that should be on your windows installation using a live system. See wubi megathread in my signature for lots of info on wubi.

There is plenty of info on this forum and other places with instructions on doing that, so a quick search should get you up and running fairly easily

Bazmundi
May 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Regrettably for you, the windows installer (wubi) was never meant to be used as a long term dual boot system, but more as a means to find out if ubuntu will work on your computer hardware.

I suggest you start again, but this time do a proper dual boot on a partitioned disk. get hold of the live CD which will check, once again, that your hardware is OK for ubuntu 12.04, then install from the live desktop. Backup all files first, which you may need to do by mounting the "disk" file that should be on your windows installation using a live system. See wubi megathread in my signature for lots of info on wubi.

There is plenty of info on this forum and other places with instructions on doing that, so a quick search should get you up and running fairly easily

At the moment I am trying to remove the broken 11.x installation. I'm afraid this has turned me off Ubuntu.

Why won't Ubuntu uninstall using Control Panel? This seems to be bad behaviour in first instance - let alone the upgrade breaking the installation. How do I get it of my machine?

Bazmundi
May 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Sorted my problem. Found bcdedit. Lifted Ubuntu out of the boot and will manually delete it from filing system - since it is too poorly behaved to uninstall itself. It installed so brilliantly originally but the update mechanism sux.