PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyone else having stability problems with Gnome shell in 12.04?

Macfunky
May 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I am loving 12.04. I'm torn between Unity and Gnome shell but i think i prefer Gnome shell, although i miss features in Unity when i'm not using it. I don't care what anyway says, they both work great for me :)

Anyway, onto my problem. I have Gnome shell installed and i am mostly using that. Every once in awhile, randomly and perhaps every few days, Gnome shell logs me out with no warning. I haven't had this problem with Unity although i would really prefer if i could stick with Gnome shell. Anyone encounter this problem or is it just me? I have my system up to date. It runs so smoothly normally but obviously it logging me out and me losing my work is not a good thing. Any help?

VanillaMozilla
May 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
It's possible for the desktop to crash, and that's what's happening. It's almost certainly a bug.

And yes, this has happened to me with the Gnome 2 desktop.

Frogs Hair
May 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
You may want to check looking glass for errors to try and figure out what's happening. Alt + F2
lgEsc to Exit

Macfunky
May 29th, 2012, 10:29 PM
You may want to check looking glass for errors to try and figure out what's happening. Alt + F2
lgEsc to Exit

I'm assuming i can run that after logging back in and it'll list out processes before and up to when it crashed? I'm not at my computer now but i will try that out next time i'm on it and it happens. Cheers.

markbl
May 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM
See my comment to a similar question here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1985976.

Macfunky
May 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM
See my comment to a similar question here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1985976.

Thanks for that. At least I know what's the cause now. That's very frustrating. The previous driver also had issues. Is this the driver or ubuntu's fault and do you know if either are aware of the problem?

markbl
May 30th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Seems to be an nvidia bug introduced since 295.40 and in all versions since (295.49, 295.53, 302.07). It causes an xorg segmentation fault. Various people have provided core dump stack traces around the forums and bug databases since at least the release of Ubuntu 12.04 but there doesn't seem to be any action/comment from nvidia (or even canonical) about it which just astounds me.

traditionalist
May 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I had them. Removed unity and had none since, although I also have a flakey graphic driver ( ATI)