PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] LCD monitor gone 70s psychedelic

SomethingFishy
May 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Hi

I've got a widescreen LCD monitor that's gone psychedelic and wondered if you have a more informed opinion than mine - to me it looks terminal (no pun intended) but perhaps there's a software fix or an easy repair you can recommend.

I've replaced it but would like to get it working for my mum, who has recently lost much of her sight and is currently reliant on a 15" laptop screen - which she can't see.

See https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F02E3512E504C30B!245&authkey=!APTproSHmQcuYU4 for an example of how it displays the ASUS support page for it. It's their MW221C model. All output is fuzzy and psychedelic, apart from the monitor's own menus (ie operated from buttons on the front), which are pin sharp but incorrectly coloured, and the ASUS logo when I first switch on, which appears to be fine.

This doesn't appear to be OS related, the problem's the same on my Ubuntu machine and Mum's Windows laptop, but I could be wrong. I suspected OS at first as the problem appeared after my recent upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu (whatever that is - Prancing Prawn perhaps?).

Any opinions welcome.

trundlenut
May 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Dodgy connection on the monitor?
Duff cable?

What connections does the monitor have? DVI, DSUB?

SomethingFishy
May 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Dodgy connection on the monitor?
Duff cable?

What connections does the monitor have? DVI, DSUB?

Thanks for the reply.

It has both DVI and VGA cables and I've tried both, with the same result each time.