PDA

View Full Version : Overlay scrollbars in 12.04

vasa1
May 29th, 2012, 05:13 AM
They still seem to be a novelty to many users. Quite often, mention of overlay scrollbars involves removing or disabling them. I removed them in 11.04 and in 11.10 but have kept them in 12.04 and now like them a lot.

It's not that much about freeing up "real estate"; they just are very, very convenient once one gets familiar with them.

I couldn't find a video on the subject on YouTube. It would be nice if someone would put up a video (with voice) showing how they work (even when there's a lot of scrolling involved). They even work in an Xfce session. (I know because I installed Xfce 4.10 onto "vanilla" Ubuntu 12.04.)

I'm looking forward to when things like Firefox, Chrome, and LibreOffice will be able to use the overlay scrollbars.

zombifier25
May 29th, 2012, 05:44 AM
It's pretty convenient for me, since I don't need to know where the scrollbars are placed. I just need to get to the side and done.
But there are room for improvements though. Currently scrolling by clicking the arrow buttons only work for single clicks. I would love to see smooth scrolling like in the normal scrollbars.

MadmanRB
May 29th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Overlay scroll bars are a terrible idea and are my most hated thing in ubuntu.
I get the idea but the toolbars are so thin and small it doesnt work in a folder with a lot of files too well.
Because the scrollbar is so thin and tiny it makes navigating a large folder with a multitude of folders next to impossible

jonedney
May 29th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I've personally not used Ubuntu without the overlay scrollbars. I like them. I can see where they would take some getting used to though.

Maybe some more thought and feedback will be taken into consideration for 12.10.

Face-Ache
May 29th, 2012, 06:07 AM
What are overlay scrollbars please?

jonedney
May 29th, 2012, 06:11 AM
The overlay scrollbars are the scrollbars for navigating around Ubuntu. It's the thin orange line on the right where the scrollbar would be, and when you hover it the larger scrollbar appears.

dwhite
May 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM
i love the overlay scrollbars in 12.04, i agree with zombifier25 one of the best features is that you just have to find an edge and you are ready to scroll

here are some screen-shots with a window open showing overlay scrollbars (active and inactive)

Face-Ache
May 29th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Ahh yep, okay, i know what you mean now.

I find them a bit finicky, but i don't hate them.

vasa1
May 29th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Overlay scroll bars are a terrible idea and are my most hated thing in ubuntu.
I get the idea but the toolbars are so thin and small it doesnt work in a folder with a lot of files too well.
Because the scrollbar is so thin and tiny it makes navigating a large folder with a multitude of folders next to impossible

Why do you think they're thin? The part we're supposed to use, by tapping the relevant arrowhead or by just grabbing and dragging, are is quite decent:

dwhite
May 29th, 2012, 06:52 AM
The part we're supposed to use, by tapping the relevant arrowhead or by just grabbing and dragging, are is quite decent:

+1, yes the overlay scrollbars are actually wider than the scrollbars in my firefox browser window as you can see in this screenshot

MadmanRB
May 29th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Why do you think they're thin? The part we're supposed to use, by tapping the relevant arrowhead or by just grabbing and dragging, are is quite decent:

When you move the cursor as much as I do it becomes a problem

3rdalbum
May 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I still can't quite get used to them (because I've been using normal scrollbars since 1991?) but I do like them. Being able to catch the scrollbox anywhere on the edge of the window is convenient. Also, on a laptop with a trackpad, if you are scrolling slowly through a document you can just "click, click, click" on the down arrow; and then if you need to go up you just move the cursor an inch upwards and click.

I suspect they could be implemented in a way that feels more natural to existing computer users, but I do like them.