PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with these desktops?

rectec794613
May 29th, 2012, 03:17 AM
My beloved laptop recently broke so I've been looking for a replacement. I must be brief as I am typing this on my phone. I found a large number of these "HP Debranded" desktops on Newegg. They are quad cores with large hard drive space for around $300. This of course seems too good to be true.

I believe the lack of GPU specs indicates that there is no GPU, although there is likely one integrated into the motherboard. This is fine as I plan to install a dedicated one. Also the pictures indicate that there is a mouse and keyboard, however, the specifications whether or not they are included.

I could use some insight on these machines. Perhaps you guys know more about them. What is the reason for these huge discounts? How well do these run Ubuntu?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=hp+debranded+quad+core&x=0&y=0

One PC I have my eye on is this. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883148077)

whatthefunk
May 29th, 2012, 03:29 AM
They are used computers.

Shadius
May 29th, 2012, 03:32 AM
My beloved laptop recently broke so I've been looking for a replacement. I must be brief as I am typing this on my phone. I found a large number of these "HP Debranded" desktops on Newegg. They are quad cores with large hard drive space for around $300. This of course seems too good to be true.

I believe the lack of GPU specs indicates that there is no GPU, although there is likely one integrated into the motherboard. This is fine as I plan to install a dedicated one. Also the pictures indicate that there is a mouse and keyboard, however, the specifications whether or not they are included.

I could use some insight on these machines. Perhaps you guys know more about them. What is the reason for these huge discounts? How well do these run Ubuntu?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=hp+debranded+quad+core&x=0&y=0

One PC I have my eye on is this. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883148077)

Refurbished products. Used then restored to be good-as-new. That explains the pricing.

rectec794613
May 29th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Refurbished products. Used then restored to be good-as-new. That explains the pricing.

Perhaps, but new quad core desktops can sell from up to $1000, which is a significant price drop. I am still unclear as to what I get with this. AFAIK, these could come with only a CPU, RAM, and HDD...

Shadius
May 29th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Perhaps, but new quad core desktops can sell from up to $1000, which is a significant price drop. I am still unclear as to what I get with this. AFAIK, these could come with only a CPU, RAM, and HDD...

Newegg.com has a live chat feature that you would benefit from. They would be better able to answer your specific questions.

rectec794613
May 29th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Newegg.com has a live chat feature that you would benefit from. They would be better able to answer your specific questions.

I have tried that. Unfortunately it seems it it currently unavailable.

Bandit
May 29th, 2012, 04:28 AM
More then likely the bulk of them were used in offices the replaced with upgrades and HP purchased them back, whipped the drives clean, blew the dust out of the system and removed the HP logos. Then just resold.

They could be good systems. I have had good and bad luck with refurbs. So its a hit or miss. But most of the time they are fully tested before being sent back out. If they got some sort of warranty then a system under 300USD could be a good bet. But IDK not my money.

rectec794613
May 29th, 2012, 04:45 AM
More then likely the bulk of them were used in offices the replaced with upgrades and HP purchased them back, whipped the drives clean, blew the dust out of the system and removed the HP logos. Then just resold.

They could be good systems. I have had good and bad luck with refurbs. So its a hit or miss. But most of the time they are fully tested before being sent back out. If they got some sort of warranty then a system under 300USD could be a good bet. But IDK not my money.

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Could the debranding itself be a factor in the reduced prices? I know branding can beef up prices substantially.

Shadius
May 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Interesting. Thanks for that info. Could the debranding itself be a factor in the reduced prices? I know branding can beef up prices substantially.

I'd say that has to do something with the pricing as well. Also, I noticed that the particular computer you're looking at comes without an OS.

PhilGil
May 29th, 2012, 05:48 AM
As others have said, these are almost certainly leased corporate computers returned to HP after their leases have expired. They are refurbished, but rather than being resold by HP they are being marketed through a third party - http://www.ecom-direct.com/index.htm - hence the de-branding.

Refurbished computers can be a very good value, particularly enterprise-grade machines as they are generally well built and durable. I'm not familiar with Ecom Direct, however, and the 90 day warranty would concern me if I wasn't able to do my own computer repairs. Be aware that these are likely to have DDR2 rather than DDR3 RAM so if you're planning on adding RAM it may be be expensive (used DDR2 RAM can usually be found at reasonable prices on ebay, however).

I've had good luck with Dell Outlet refurbs, as those are restored to like-new condition by Dell and carry a one year factory warranty, the same as new machines.

jonedney
May 29th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Personally, I think it comes down to your preference. My preference, is new. I've also used a refurbished system and had no issues with it, and have had a friend who has had bad experiences with refurbished systems.

Good Luck! HP is my brand of choice!

rectec794613
May 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I'd say that has to do something with the pricing as well. Also, I noticed that the particular computer you're looking at comes without an OS.

Hehe well we all know that won't be a problem. I do have one more question: do these machines at least have onboard sound chips? I don't want to go filling up the PCI slots (if any) with peripherals that should come with the motherboard.

Shadius
May 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hehe well we all know that won't be a problem. I do have one more question: do these machines at least have onboard sound chips? I don't want to go filling up the PCI slots (if any) with peripherals that should come with the motherboard.

:lolflag: Right you are about the OS not being a problem. For your question, I can't really give you a definite answer. I see what appears to be one PCI slot from the images and if you look at the image showing the back, you'll see the input/output panel.

mips
May 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
The one you like with the Phenom 830 cpu is a HP Pavillion. As far as I'm aware they all have PCIe slots and I doubt you get machines without onboard sound these days, it's a given.

You best bet is to contact the supplier to newegg for the full specs. The best would be if they could supply you with the original HP part# so you can then check up the specs on the HP site.

Also check if these computers use a standard ATX PSU (in case you have to buy a new one at some stage) and have the connectors required for gfx cards that require dedicated power.

The pictures seem to indicate you get a box with stuff included, verify this. The pics also indicate you only have a single pcie slot and not other slots besides that.

To contact the supplier, " info at tribecatechsolutions dot com " or 1-866-401-0132

3rdalbum
May 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
If they are business level PCs, then they should be fine. Those kinds of computers are durable and reliable, and they've been returned due to reasons other than "It broke".

I used to work in an electrical retailer that used to sell seconds. Vastly cheaper for the customer (or fantastic margins for the retailer, lol) and surprisingly few problems. Our seconds were generally returned to the manufacturer as faulty and then repaired and resold as seconds, so it's surprising that we only got one "faulty" return in that whole time.

TL;DR: Sounds good, I'd be astonished if you had any problems with refurbished business PCs.

thatguruguy
May 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
MWhat is the reason for these huge discounts?

They are four years old.

sandyd
May 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Sounds like off-lease stuff to me.