PDA

View Full Version : "the following packages have been held back" linux-generic etc

likes2skate
May 29th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I switched to AMD64 kubuntu 12.04 precise at the beginning of the month.

Recently (over at least the past week), when I run apt-get update, I get this:

The following packages have been held back:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

Should I be worried?

What is going on?

Thanks,

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 29th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Those are kernel packages. sudo apt-get upgrade does not update the kernel. You need to use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

stoian
September 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Those are kernel packages. sudo apt-get upgrade does not update the kernel. You need to use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

thanks a lot for this! i am running ubuntu since 2006, and this is the first time i had to do dist-upgrade for the kernel to get upgraded... funny, eh? i think it is time for me to move to a more simple distro...

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 13th, 2012, 12:59 AM
:lolflag:

apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, and do-release-upgrade may not behave exactly the same way in some distros.

If the distro uses incremental releases or the distro uses rolling releases, apt-get dist-upgrade can have dramatically different results.

Before using those commands with a distro, you really should research how the distro does upgrades and what those commands actually do.

If your system upgraded, please mark the thread as solved.

OmegaShadowwraith
September 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hi i have also been getting this message, but apt-get upgrade had always updated the kernel in the past but this is the first time i received this message. :?