PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black Box around Cairo-Dock

Dark Ninja
May 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and fairly new to GNU/Linux as a primary distro, however I have used it off and on on VM's and random boxes laying around the house. So, for the most part, I know how to do everything I want but now I'm stumped! Right now I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Fluxbox as the WM. I like it because of how lightweight it is and Gnome is too **** bulky! So, with Fluxbox I installed Cairo-Dock and added it in my .fluxbox/startup file and all is well except I get the black box around it blocking off a fairly good chunk of real estate on my monitor. I know this is an issue of compositing and although I could of used compiz and see multiple "solutions" for that, I opted for Cairo Composite Manager. Had a few issues finally getting it installed (which we won't get into) but finally did and added that to my .fluxbox/startup file as well. Now when I log in my Dock starts but the black box is still around it. However, all the other visual effects are working fine. Everything else has transparency, even the sub-menus of Cairo, but not the main dock itself! Any help guys??
I ran the following thinking it might be a driver issue (which seemed unlikely since all other visuals worked):

sudo lshw -C displayand this is my output:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:19 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:bc00(size=128) memory:fe7e0000-fe7fffff
So...looks like my nvidia driver is installed and working correctly, no? This is where I start to get fuzzy so I could be looking at this all wrong so ANY help is apreciated!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

zombifier25
May 28th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I haven't used Cairo Dock for a while, but only in WMs that supports compositing like Compiz does Cairo Dock displays properly. In other VMs, the transparency are actually fake transparency.

JOHNNYG713
May 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
you have to enable composting, same as docky ! google is your friend ! how to enable composting in ubuntu

Dark Ninja
May 28th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I haven't used Cairo Dock for a while, but only in WMs that supports compositing like Compiz does Cairo Dock displays properly. In other VMs, the transparency are actually fake transparency.
:mad: I was afraid of that...I'm not giving up quite yet though! Thanks!

you have to enable composting, same as docky ! google is your friend ! how to enable composting in ubuntu
Thank you, and yes, Google is my friend! :P I'm sorry for not clarifying, I do have "Composite Desktop" checked and I've tried both the "X-Rendering" and "Software Rendering" settings for cairo-compmgr to no avail.