PDA

View Full Version : Destro Alpha and Source Code to be out in 5 weeks!

roffisserver
May 28th, 2012, 02:34 AM
As some of you know I am building a new Linux Distribution call Destro. In 5 weeks the Alpha build will be out for testing. I am also going to be setting up a git repo for the source code. For those who haven't heard of Destro I am adding a Custom UI and a few other things. I have been working on what package manager to use and came up with pacman. This isn't set in stone yet so I am open to suggestions. I would also like to invite anyone with some coding or design capability to come help me with the UI. You would get credit and have your name on our sites. I have a few links below for updates.

Links:
code.roffiscode.org
roffiscode.org
youtube.com/user/mrcomputerninja

Update: Source Code will be release in the next week!

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 02:36 AM
You use an apple computer to build it? Any screenshots of JUST Destro?

roffisserver
May 28th, 2012, 02:45 AM
No screenshots yet except one that I took with my camera. It looks like any other Linux OS from command line. I just started with the Custom UI. Thats what I have to work on.

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 02:56 AM
So it has no GUI Yet?

roffisserver
May 28th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Nope. That is what I really need help on.

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Suggestions to it:

Don't make it tablet-like. (If you must, have a desktop-version to download as well.)

Don't base it off of other Operating Systems (IE: MacOS, Windows.)

Use colors that blend well together.

Make sure you have a fallback for people who don't have composition.

If you have to use Desktop Environment specific programs, stick to that Desktop Environment, do not go cross-DE (IE: XFCE+GNOME) It can save you headaches and space later. (A note, Pidgin requires a lot of gnome stuff.)

roffisserver
May 28th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Well I am not going to make it tablet like

I am for sure going to make a unique UI

I will have lots of well have a blend of different colors.

I would also like you opinion on what package manager to use

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I would also like you opinion on what package manager to use

I honestly just use apt-get or aptitude via command-line. I use add-apt-repository for adding repos or just edit the repos file, if I can find it >_>

cariboo
May 28th, 2012, 04:53 AM
If you don't want a DE that looks like a tablet, I guess that leaves out XFCE + conky. Some of the screen shots I've seen, look a lot like my Android tablet desktop.

The screenshot are just examples I've found with a quick search. The second attachment is the tablet

roffisserver
May 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Well my OS is focused on advanced users so I am going to pack a lot of features in it. Right now I am more focus on the core of the OS. That is what will be done in 5 weeks.