PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, and a coding question.

DefragDoll
May 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
So I'm new to the community. New to Ubuntu really, in this is the first time I've ever felt I actually want to be a part of this thing. I tried old Gnome2 versions, I've tried Kubuntu (which I liked, but KDE just felt too inconsistent), and while Unity still has some ways to go, I see so much potential in it. Right now I'm dual-booting on my Mac, but only intend to boot into OS X if I absolutely have to.

One question I have is, what should a total n00b with no coding experience do if they want to learn? I want to contribute to the project some day and help develop apps that integrate well with Unity specifically. While that's a long ways off, what should I do to get learning to code the beginner's stuff?

Just a note, I'm definitely the kind of person who absorbs learning better through multimedia and hands on experience. Books don't do it for me.

Anyway, it's nice to be here, and I'm enjoying the release so far! ^_^

Crystal

Bachstelze
May 27th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Have a look at the sticky in http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39

gardnan
May 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums community.

What I would recommend to you is first try and get a little more comfortable with Ubuntu and Linux in general. Then, I think you will have a better idea of what you want to do to help development. If you want to learn to program, it may be a little difficult to do that using multimedia, but you could write your own little projects to get hands-on experience.

I would also recommend looking into reporting bugs to the proper developers. That is usually a good way for new people to get started in actual development.

Good luck.

DefragDoll
May 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
My bad. Hadn't noticed the programming forum. Well, howdy anyway. ^_^

roffisserver
May 29th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Well if your good at something with Linux I would love to have help on Destro.