PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failures in 12.04 upgrade, try re-installing from CD?

murphyac
May 27th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I had a memory problem on my Dell desktop, which led to many problems when I upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10. For instance, I have a constant system error and Software Center, Upgrade Manager and Synaptic now do not work.

Should I try to re-install 12.04 from the CD on top of my partially failed upgrade?

Angela C. Murphy

fantab
May 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
YES. Clean Upgrade from a CD or USB is always a better bet. Back up all your important Data and then re-install 12.04 from the CD.

Sef
May 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Should I try to re-install 12.04 from the CD on top of my partially failed upgrade?

First do an Fantab says and back up all your data.Then install from a usb or cd. A clean install erases the hard drive, so all the information on it is lost.

nipunshakya
May 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I had a memory problem on my Dell desktop, which led to many problems when I upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10. For instance, I have a constant system error and Software Center, Upgrade Manager and Synaptic now do not work.

Angela C. Murphy

Clean install is always the best idea while switching from one version to other. However, be sure to check the iso you downloaded, always check the LiveCD or USB for errors while trying to boot in the live mode. That would keep you out of alot of troubles too...

Goodluck.
Happy Linuxing.