PDA

View Full Version : Can you order Ubuntu DVD's Via Ship-It?

Kernel Sanders
June 18th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Or is it just CD's only?

Its just that my broadband isnt great, and it'll be a 10 hour download to get the Ubuntu DVD :sad:

dabear
June 18th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I believe they only ship cd's

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Or is it just CD's only?

Its just that my broadband isnt great, and it'll be a 10 hour download to get the Ubuntu DVD :sad:
Just download it while your sleeping. I don't think that shipt ships cds. Yeah they don't.

user1397
June 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM
what's the point of the dvd anyway? the desktop-cd is already a live and an install cd, so what makes the dvd one different from the rest? is it a combination of the desktop-cd and the alternate-cd?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM
The DVD has tons of extra packages on it. Extreamly useful for people with slow/no internet connections.

user1397
June 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
The DVD has tons of extra packages on it. Extreamly useful for people with slow/no internet connections.wow, well then that's quite ironic in itself; a huge dvd file for people with slow/no internet connection, and yet, the only way to get it is through the internet, not through shipit.

Hmmm......:-k

user1397
June 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
so is the dvd version just like the desktop-cd or more like the alternate-cd?

Patrick-Ruff
June 18th, 2006, 12:50 AM
lol yeah thats seriously extremely ironic, I've only downloaded 1 GB file on dialup, thats as far as I go..it took damn near 3 weeks... I'de prefer just apt-get rather then that crap... they should make it available via shipit.

Patrick-Ruff
June 18th, 2006, 12:51 AM
although I suppose if your giving it to a friend or something..or if a friend is giving it to you, yeah I can see it as relavent, but useless to the user with no connection whatsoever.

Wolki
June 18th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I think you can buy the DVDs from Amazon. Was on Planet Ubuntu recently, though at the time it was for us only, with other countries supposed to come later.

Remember that ShipIt costs quite a lot of money, and they're trying to cut costs there (probably because new staff is needed too).

Kernel Sanders
June 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded *thumbs up*

Looks like i'll stick to the standard install cd :(

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Not connected to this thread per se, but I'd like to give Canonical a big thumbs up, as my Ubuntu CDs arrived really fast this time, 2 weeks, I believe.. instead of 2 months!!

curuxz
June 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM
the dvd release was to be downloaded on a fast line then burned and taken to locations without the net. Shipit wont do them it would be stupidlt costly. ask a friend to download it or get broadband ;)