PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu-server 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ 20120424.1

fastzombie
May 26th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I am in the middle of installing the 32b i386 server and it is asking to insert disk labeled 'ubuntu-server 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ 20120424.1'. WTF? I can't give a disk a label that long. I tried using a burner that let me use ISO9660 but that still only gives me 32 characters and I get the same message. I am really afraid of hosing up the whole disk if I can't solve this. Any suggestions?

VMC
May 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Edit: I miss understood your first statement. Sorry.

I haven't installed a server disk before. Are you sure you downloaded the correct disk?

What is the name of the ISO you downloaded. I assume your installing from a cd/usb.

fastzombie
May 27th, 2012, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure how to use that info in the middle of an install. It's asking for a disk with that label and I don't understand why and more importantly how to rescue it.

fastzombie
May 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM
well i tried using desktop thinking the server disk might be corrupted and the install completely failed. not sure why i can't have an install of ubuntu go cleanly, there is always some catastrophic failure.

Bucky Ball
May 27th, 2012, 06:41 AM
well i tried using desktop thinking the server disk might be corrupted and the install completely failed. not sure why i can't have an install of ubuntu go cleanly, there is always some catastrophic failure.

Yea, strange. I'm not sure either.

* What machine are you using? (i.e. RAM, processor)
* With the desktop install, does it run ok when you boot from the disk and 'Try Ubuntu' rather than attempt to install?
* Have you tried the most stable release, 10.04 LTS (or any others), to see if you get the same results? That might give other clues.
* Have you tried the alternate install ISO? If it is a graphics issue this will (should) bypass as it is a text-based installer.

Please provide more details about exactly how these installs have failed, i.e. any error messages you might remember. ;)

fastzombie
May 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for reply.

On the "Install Base System" step it was asking for volume 'ubuntu-server 12.04 LTS _Precise Pangolin_ 20120424.1', literally that whole quote. I could not continue, I could not go back, I was stuck. As I clicked either option it seemed to be looking for a file but it flashed too quickly to read.

I tried sneaking in desktop but then the install totally failed. I'm pretty concerned my partitions are hosed and I've lost Windows.

- I am using an IBM T60 with Centrino Dual core 2G ram.
- I did not try desktop on this machine, but I tried it on another machine and it was a disaster. It screwed up my partitions and I still cannot boot up windows. Made me very paranoid about partitioning.
- Have not tried 10.04, but considered it. I suppose with server it won't make much difference.
- Server 32 has no graphics, it's like it is the alt disk. Most server instructions are for 64.

I am going to try Kubuntu desktop, I had luck with that. I can install any server stuff I need later. I prefer KDE anyway.

Thanks for the help.

fastzombie
May 31st, 2012, 04:09 AM
Well my greatest partitioning fears came true it wiped my windows. Just freakin great. I really thought Ubuntu would be better than this but so far every install I try is a new disaster.

I'll just install Kubuntu desktop and add/remove as necessary.